Climate Change Overview
How We Work
The 2015 Paris Agreement defines our collective vision for a climate resilient world. BSR works with companies to build the Paris vision in three main ways:
- Develop emissions reductions strategies that are aligned with the Paris Agreement. This involves setting and validating climate targets, establishing renewable energy policies and roadmaps, and building resilience to climate impacts throughout company operations and value chains (e.g. supplier engagement, reverse sourcing, and low-carbon procurement).
- Manage unavoidable climate risks. This involves assessing against and implementing the TCFD recommendations, evaluating physical and transition risks, and co-developing standard approaches to integrate such risk management into the business. Such integration might include conducting climate risk assessments and climate scenario analysis, and building resilience at the nexus of people and climate.
- Leverage collaboration to create net zero value chains. BSR manages a range of leading, cross-sector collaborative initiatives that allow companies to work together on solutions to large-scale reduction and mitigation challenges.
- Recognized sustainability leadership among peers
- Alignment with inbound climate and energy regulation across jurisdictions
- Cost savings and reduced variability of operating costs
- Strengthened relationships with shareholders and suppliers
- Improved brand equity with consumers
- Improved talent attraction with millennials
- Opportunities to shape regulatory environment on climate and energy
- Cross-disciplinary expertise on climate change spanning science, economics, regulation, and private sector best practices
- Deep expertise on how climate intersects with the energy, agriculture, transport, finance, and information and communications technology industries
- Identifying opportunities resulting from the strong and multifaceted business case for climate action
- Developing and implementing ambitious climate strategies for business, including:
- Prioritizing greenhouse gas emissions to address and identifying ways to do so
- Setting and implementing science-based emissions reductions goals
- Assessing and reporting climate risks
- Engaging suppliers to reduce emissions and build climate resilience across the value chain
- Stakeholder engagement and facilitating partnerships across the landscape of organizations working on climate change
- Leadership of collaborative initiatives to advance industry-wide climate solutions