Transforming derivatives supply chains by increasing transparency and risk monitoring.
To achieve a palm derivatives supply chain that upholds No Deforestation, No Peat, No Exploitation (NDPE) principles; respects human rights; and supports local livelihoods.
Our Strategy for Impact
ASD aims for a wholescale transformation of the complex derivatives sector, focusing initially on palm, with intentions to expand to further derivatives supply chains, including coconut oil derivatives and soy oil derivatives. We do this through:
- Creating a global, transparent mapping of the palm derivatives supply chain
- Maximizing the potential for success in reaching NDPE target by sharing and advancing solutions
- Harmonizing best practice approaches to transparency, risk monitoring, and evaluation
- Identifying and pursuing opportunities for multilateral collaboration, including pilots of tools, methodologies, and sustainable field projects
- Uniting as a sector to increase external recognition of the complexity of the palm derivatives supply chain and to influence major upstream supply chain players
Impacts: SDG 12, 13, 15
How We Work
ASD is a collaborative initiative co-managed and co-facilitated by BSR and Transitions, two organizations with extensive experience and expertise in supply chain sustainability and business collaborations.
The industry-led platform brings together companies in the cosmetics, home and personal care, and oleochemicals industries to collectively tackle supply chain issues around palm oil and palm kernel oil derivatives.
Participants collectively steer the priority activities of the initiative.
ASD pursues four major workstreams:
- Transparency and Risk Assessment: Increasing transparency and consolidating a common framework to focus efforts
- Monitoring and Grievances Management: Leveraging dynamic monitoring systems and actively managing non-compliance
- Supply and Market Transformation: Engaging the sector toward accessible deforestation-free solutions
- Positive Impact: Scaling up long-term collective action in key production landscapes
Who We Work With
Natura Cosméticos S/A
Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
Avon Products, Inc.
Zschwimmer & Schwarz Italiana
Action for Sustainable Derivatives: Annual Update on Progress, 2022
From deploying joint action to engage the palm derivatives supply chain to amending priorities to track developments, Action for Sustainable Derivatives shares its 2022 progress.
Depth of Experience and Knowledge
Participation in Action for Sustainable Derivatives is open to companies in the cosmetics, home and personal care, healthcare, and oleochemicals industries.