Human Rights Working Group Overview
The UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (“Guiding Principles”) established the global standard for corporate management of human rights risks and impacts. However, the Guiding Principles do not provide detailed guidance on how to implement the principles in practice. BSR’s Human Rights Working Group (“HRWG”) was established in 2012 to address this gap in operational guidance. The group has grown into an international community of company practitioners representing more than 40 global cross-industry companies sharing practical guidance, challenges, and lessons learned from implementing the Guiding Principles across a diverse range of operational environments.
Companies at all points along the human rights implementation journey are welcome to join HRWG. Annual activities include a mix of plenary discussions and breakout focus groups to connect companies working on similar issues during in-person meetings. The group meets three times per year in three regional locations: the U.S., Europe, and Asia. All HRWG members are welcome to attend any of the meetings, and are encouraged to have regionally-based colleagues join in different locations. In addition, the group hosts monthly webinars and members receive a monthly newsletter with the latest trends, events, and reports on business and human rights.
Create a safe space for a cross-sector group of companies to openly share best practices, challenges, questions, and experiences implementing the Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.
- We tackled a range of human rights issues: human rights risk assessments, training, reporting, grievance mechanisms, remedy and supply chain among others.
- We drove integration, training, funding, and proactive management of human rights issues for our members.
- Learn from and collaborate with practitioners across sectors on implementing the Guiding Principles
- Use research and benchmarking on current practices to enhance the company’s own human rights policies, management, and reporting
- Build buy-in and internal alignment around the company’s human rights efforts