Future of Reporting Overview
Sustainability reporting has grown considerably in both quantity and quality over the past 20 years. However, the impact of sustainability reporting can be increased in two important areas: accelerating improved sustainability performance at companies and enabling informed decision-making by stakeholders.
The Future of Reporting collaborative initiative is a group of companies sharing reporting best practices and using these to support better performance and more decision-useful reporting, and to inform the work of various reporting organizations.
By holding the pen while sustainability reports are written, company sustainability practitioners occupy a very special position in the world of sustainability reporting. They have the potential to define the solutions for better reporting and shape the future of the practice.
Our mission is for member companies to create sustainability reports that result in:
- Improved sustainability performance at companies
- Informed decision-making by stakeholders
Further, it is our mission that insights gained from the practical discipline of creating, publishing, and using sustainability reports is channeled into the work of various reporting organizations, thereby increasing the usefulness and quality of sustainability reporting guidelines, standards, and resources.
How We Work
- Research agenda to surface best practices and reporting trends
- Three in-person meetings per year (one at BSR annual Conference)
- One publication (or similar) to influence the reporting field annually
- Concept development (e.g. Key Performance Indicator/Key Performance Narrative table)
- Share reporting best practices with peers and learn from your counterparts at other BSR member companies
- Engage with leaders shaping the future of reporting
- Benefit from a safe space to dig deep on specific reporting challenges and topics
- Further develop the ideas set out in the BSR "Triangles, Numbers, and Narratives" report
- Understand how to apply reporting frameworks, such as GRI, IIRC, RAFI, SASB, and the TCFD Recommendations
- Increase the impact of reporting