Future of Reporting Overview
Sustainability reporting has grown considerably in both quantity and quality over the past 20 years. However, the impact of sustainability reporting can be increased in two important areas: accelerating improved sustainability performance at companies and enabling informed decision-making by stakeholders.
The Future of Reporting collaborative initiative is a group of companies sharing reporting best practices and using these insights to inform the work of various reporting organizations.
By holding the pen while sustainability reports are written, company sustainability practitioners occupy a very special position in the world of sustainability reporting. They have the potential to de ne the solutions for better reporting and shape an approach to sustainability reporting that most effectively accelerates improved sustainability performance and enables informed decision-making.
Our mission is for member companies to create sustainability reports that result in:
Improved sustainability performance at companies
Informed decision-making by stakeholders
Further, it is our mission that insights gained from the practical discipline of creating, publishing, and using sustainability reports is channeled into the work of various reporting organizations, thereby increasing the usefulness and quality of sustainability reporting guidelines, standards, and resources.
How We Work
- Research agenda to surface best practices and reporting trends
- Three in-person meetings per year (one at BSR annual Conference)
- One publication (or similar) to influence the reporting field
- Concept development (e.g. Key Performance Indicator/Key Performance Narrative table)
- Share reporting best practices with peers and learn from other BSR member companies
- Engage with leadesr shaping the future of reporting
- Benefit from a safe space to dig deep on specific reporting challenges and topics
- Further develop the ideas set out in the BSR "Triangles, Numbers, and Narratives" report
- Understand how to apply reporting frameworks, such as GRI, IIRC, OTI, RAFI, and SASB
- Increase the impact of reporting practitioners