NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world’s best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
NIKE, Inc. is transforming manufacturing with world-class standards that ensure our products are made responsibly and sustainably. Everything we do puts workers at the center. We are respecting the environment and using cutting-edge technologies to create better, more personalized products for our customers.
Many of the challenges we seek to address are complex and beyond the scope of one brand or company. We need to work collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders to think creatively, and pool our skills in order to address risks and improve outcomes for our manufacturing factories, workers, and their communities.
At NIKE, we believe we must set our own ambitious commitments, and work alongside others to inspire, convene and catalyze bold action, within our industry and on behalf of the world.
The Senior Director of Engagement for Global Sustainability is responsible for developing and executing engagement and advocacy plans against NIKE’s key sustainability pillars for environment and supply chain labor, establishing and improving external partnerships to drive our agenda. You will work internally with leaders across key partner functions, in particular Global and Regional Government and Public Affairs, Purpose Communications, Brand, and Global Community Impact, to deliver sustainability focused positions, platforms and campaign(s) that engage our employees, consumers, industry, and other sectors.
Leadership, relationship-building, and high-level influencing skills are key to the role. Significant experience leading coalitions, both industry-facing and consumer-facing, is crucial; as is the ability to mobilize partnerships and convene at a high-level. Subject matter expertise in sustainability (social and environmental) is critical to your success in this role. Deep knowledge of policy and familiarity with the landscape of sustainability leadership and investment is also required.
Many of the challenges we seek to address in sustainability are sophisticated and beyond the scope of one brand or company. As the driver of NIKE’s sustainability agenda, this leader is committed to a vision of system change for the industry. Measurable impact will not be possible without a bias towards collaboration and innovation. As a leader, you listen and find ways to build consensus. As well as being a creative problem solver, you have an awareness of how consumers understand global, social and political issues, particularly sustainability related views. In addition to being a skilled communicator, outstanding political acuity is required and you are able to negotiate and lead sophisticated issues to resolution.
Responsibilities to include:
- Advise and help set NIKE’s vision for change with specialist insights and an understanding of sustainability issues today and in the future.
- Develop and lead highly innovative and targeted sustainability advocacy strategies and positions, passionate about our sustainability strategy, that engage employees, consumers, and our industry; with short, medium, and long-term critical metrics that deliver measurable change.
- Establish and drive the key partnerships and industry coalitions required to deliver the enterprise-wide advocacy agenda.
- Identify, cultivate and maintain relationships with industry specialists, advocacy groups, government and non-governmental organizations and academics that deliver both business and social value.
WHAT YOU BRING TO NIKE
- Experience leading change with large global brands and/or organizations
- Ability to develop 360 partner and relationship plans and drive successful activation
- Strong Influencer skills, and excellent writing and presentation skills; inspiring and innovative storyteller with deep expertise in writing and content creation for a variety of audiences and engagement goals, including speech writing, presentations, digital content, media relations and events
- Experience presenting to and working with senior executives to provide strategic counsel, clearly articulate ideas, successfully manage differing points of view and strengthen relationships and rapport
- Experience with global campaigns, with internal and external audiences
- Proven track record of crafting and executing strategies with a strong advocacy focus and multiple geography execution
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, PR, Journalism, or related field
- 10+ years demonstrated experience as a communications, partner relations, public affairs or corporate affairs lead supporting globally branded organizations or high profile organizations
- Excellent verbal, written and intrapersonal communications skills and consistent track record to lead high profile projects in global environment to deliver results
- Familiar with sustainability issues, positions and trends
- Engagement and stakeholder experience
- Ability to Travel, 30%
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Please visit the NIKE careers website.