About BSR (Business for Social Responsibility)
Our mission is to work with business to create a just and sustainable world. We envision a world in which everyone can lead a prosperous and dignified life within the boundaries of the Earth’s natural resources.
Our Theory of Change
BSR believes that a just and sustainable world will result when the unique skills and resources of all sectors—business, civil society, and government—are aligned toward that goal. The role of business is to create and deliver products and services in a way that treats people fairly, meets individuals’ needs and aspirations within the boundaries of our planet, and encourages market and policy frameworks that enable a sustainable future. BSR’s role is to catalyze change within business by integrating sustainability into strategy and operations, and to promote collaboration among companies and their stakeholders for systemic progress toward a just and sustainable world.
Our Value Proposition
We are a global nonprofit business network dedicated to sustainability:
- We are global in mindset, staffing, and activities.
- We have deep expertise in social and environmental issues across industries and regions. We understand the connections between these issues as well as the diverse perspectives of business and stakeholders.
- We are practical. Working from farm to factory to boardroom, we translate ideas into real outcomes that deliver value for business and society.
- We build collaboration. We understand that systemic answers to interlocking challenges demand collaboration—and we know how to bring multiple stakeholders to the table to make it happen.
- We strive for positive social and environmental impact in all the work that we do.
With more than 100 employees in eight offices across Asia, Europe, and North America, we drive social and environmental impact through:
- Membership: We work with our network of more than 250 of the world’s most influential companies to inform and strengthen their sustainability efforts.
- Advisory Services: We undertake one-on-one engagements with companies on a diverse range of sustainability issues to catalyze progress.
- Collaborative Initiatives: We lead business collaboration as well as multisector efforts to achieve systemic progress.
- Partnerships: We identify and facilitate partnerships among business and grant-funders to create greater sustainability impact than could be achieved on their own.
- Research: We undertake grant-supported research that spurs progress on global challenges in sustainable business.