At BSR, we define Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (EIJ) as
- Equity: Equity is a lens that enables businesses to 1) acknowledge the needs of the most marginalized and 2) to assess how they, as a system, have created and institutionalized barriers that prohibit those needs from being met.
- Inclusion: Inclusion is building relationships with those who do not regularly participate in decision-making processes and providing an opportunity to safely share their needs and work with institutions to create and foster better practices and behaviors to meet those needs. To move toward redress and progress, companies must establish relationships with diverse stakeholders that create pathways for active inclusion.
- Justice: Environments where equity and inclusion are present foster the ability to envision how to create access to opportunity and resources for everyone within an ecosystem and drive true transformation.
Business is one of many actors critical for the creation of a world in which everyone—regardless of identity or background—has the opportunity for equal participation in all aspects of life, has fair access to resources, and can be confident that systems are operating in ways that improve the quality of life for all, and not a select few....
BSR’s approach to equity, inclusion and justice does not focus solely on diversity as an end in itself. Instead, we believe we must prioritize the needs and voices of those who have been and continue to be subject to marginalization and exclusion, using an “equity-first” approach in which companies work alongside stakeholders from all sectors and the community to address deep disparities and systemic challenges and create a socially just world for all.
Business can do this by:
- Leveraging its power to create opportunities
- Increasing access to services and resources
- Ensuring fair participation
- Protecting the rights of marginalized and/or excluded populations within their business ecosystems.
Companies stand to benefit tremendously from strategic approaches to EIJ across all parts of the business, from innovative product and service development to supplier diversity, from inclusive talent practices to using their company voice to advance social justice.
80 percent of US employees say inclusion is important when choosing an employer, and 39 percent say they would leave their current organization for a more inclusive one.
Companies identified as more diverse and inclusive are 35 percent more likely to outperform their competitors.
In a recent Morning Consult survey, 42 percent of employed adults in the United States agree that their company’s response to social issues has an impact on their decision to stay at the organization.
How We Can Help
Adding Value to Your Business and Society
BSR helps companies to build a more equitable world through socially just business practices. Using an equity-first approach, specific to the unique needs of each industry, BSR will work with you to implement and drive equitable processes and outcomes, increase access to opportunity, and expand participation across the business ecosystem. Our offerings include:
Long-term strategic roadmaps to advance change throughout the value chain
Detailed assessments focused on equity and inclusion in global and regional contexts
Focused strategies for specific issues including women’s empowerment, LGBTIQ+ rights, economic inclusion, and access, among other critical equity priorities.
Bringing business together with peers and other stakeholders to work collaboratively to address high-impact issues, explore existing and new practices, move ideas into actions, and to scale and replicate what works.
Who We Work With
Fashion Industry’s Four Largest Women’s Empowerment Programs Form New Initiative RISE to Scale Impact
Alongside Gap Inc., P.A.C.E, CARE, and Better Work, BSR's HERproject is proud to form a new initiative called RISE: Reimagining Industry to Support Equality to scale impact and accelerate equality for women workers in global garment, footwear, and home furnishings supply chains.
Collective Solutions for Meaningful Impact
Our collaborative initiatives enable companies to transform their businesses while creating shared solutions to global challenges and make a meaningful systemic impact.
Depth of Experience and Knowledge
Our Equity, Inclusion, and Justice team consists of global experts across multiple industries, bringing a depth of experience in developing sustainable business strategies and solutions.
Let’s talk about how BSR can help you to transform your business and achieve your sustainability goals.