What you’ll be doing…
Verizon seeks a highly-motivated, forward-thinking and creative Staff Counsel to join its legal team to manage and execute strategy to integrate attention to human rights impacts in its legal initiatives and business operations. The ideal candidate should be technically-minded, strategic and pragmatic and have significant legal and/or public policy experience on issues at the intersection of human rights and technology. The candidate must have excellent inter-personal and communication skills, demonstrated good judgment, and must be able to manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. The ability to develop key relationships and maintain a visible presence within the company is critical.
- Proactively identify trends and substantive areas of risk from a human rights perspective, including those that may impact customers, business strategy and reputation.
- Assist in development of strategies to mitigate risk and to highlight positive human rights impacts.
- Support efforts to advise legal and business leaders on human rights matters impacting the business.
- Work within Verizon legal team to serve as primary point of contact for human rights risk analysis of business decisions.
- Assist with development and execution of employee human rights training program.
- Conduct research and write background reports for Human Rights Impact Assessments (HRIAs).
- Support relationships with external stakeholders, including organizations focused on technology and human rights, multi-stakeholder dialogues and international organizations.
hat we’re looking for…
You’ll need to have:
- JD and six or more years of work experience
- Six or more years of relevant work experience in law, policy, human rights, advocacy, or in-house at a technology company handling legal or public policy issues related to privacy and free expression.
- Licenses: Active and in good standing
Even better if you have:
- J.D., or equivalent, with strong academic performance.
- At least 6-10 years of experience Experience in the communications or wireless technology industry, and/or in location based services is strongly preferred.
- Exemplary communication skills, both written and verbal and ability to describe and distill complex policy, technology and human rights issues to audiences with different areas of expertise and different levels of understanding.
- Strong research, report writing and training/presentation skills. Experience engaging new and existing audiences through social media communication tools and strategies, a plus.
- Demonstrated project management skills and proven ability to manage fast-moving issues in dynamic setting, prioritize multiple responsibilities, remain flexible and complete work in timely manner with high attention to detail.
- Proven ability to anticipate problems, think critically and creatively and to challenge received wisdom, as well as to develop and lead implementation of appropriate, pragmatic solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential information coupled with impeccable integrity and sound judgment.
- Experience working cross-functionally in multi-national settings or across different cultures and building and maintaining effective working relationships, as well as proven ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel.
- Experience building effective working relationships with advocacy organizations or working in multi-stakeholder settings.
- International work or study experience, as well as fluency in a foreign language preferred.
- Passion and curiosity for technology and human rights and a sound understanding of the telecommunications and internet industries and intersections points with free expression and privacy.
When you join Verizon…
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees’ differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.