This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be onsite every other week.
Are you interested in a great opportunity to lead Life Cycle efforts in future automotive materials? In this position you will promote GM’s values and consider the customer’s needs in every material selection!
Life Cycle Analysis or Life Cycle Assessment is an important tool for assessing the impacts of our materials throughout the different stages of their life cycle. The Life Cycle Analysis Materials Engineer will possess a broad technical understanding of LCA tools and sustainable materials combined with creative and critical thinking.
We are looking for a candidate with passion for sustainability, technology, and a desire to continuously learn new things! You will be part of a growing team of passionate materials engineers who are dedicated specifically to focus on sustainable solutions which will directly impact our customers.
- Lead Life Cycle Analysis projects for materials and/or components with analysis tools such as GaBi, Sphera, GREET, or SimaPro
- Assist in the development of LCA protocols, tracking tools, and technology maps for sustainable materials
- Support efforts related to CO2 and CO2e footprint tracking with data for material commodities and part processes.
- Interact regularly with design engineers, creative design, manufacturing engineers, suppliers, purchasing, and other materials engineers to achieve sustainability targets.
- Solve complex issues, often with incomplete information, to arrive at a root cause
- Investigate new materials technology and new supplier processes
- BS Degree in Materials Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, Environmental Engineering, Metallurgy, Metallurgical Engineering, or other related engineering degree
- Minimum 3 years of relevant Life Cycle Analysis experience as a materials engineer, environmental engineer, metallurgist, or related engineering
- Experience with conducting Life Cycle Analysis of materials and/or components
- Knowledge of LCA computer software (GaBi, Sphera, GREET, SimaPro) as it pertains to conducting analysis of materials and/or components
- Knowledge of industry recognized relevant standards (ISO, etc)
- Strong analytical skills for data analysis, project management, and problem-solving
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
- Master of Science degree in Engineering or related field
- 5+ years of relevant Life Cycle Analysis experience
- Familiarity of vehicle design and development process
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively—to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.