Establish and execute Wendy’s values-based food and nutrition policy strategy to meet consumer needs, accelerate growth and support business goals. Serve as internal thought leader by presenting fact-based, data-driven and emerging trend information. Lead a cross-functional team including Communications, Culinary Innovation, Investor Relations, Quality Assurance, Marketing, Operations, Customer Care and Supply Chain to bridge gaps between consumer information/insights and in-house practices. Stay current on evolving nutrition, food and health trends, science and policy debates to identify opportunities and inform on public policy positions, nutrition strategy, advocacy, and external communications. Share regular internal communications on food and nutrition policy. Maximize opportunities with suppliers, industry leaders, trade associations, NGO’s, stakeholders, academics, health professionals and opinion leaders. Reporting to the SVP, External & Government Relations.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Develop and implement Wendy’s food and nutrition policy strategy by leading an internal, cross-functional working group on current and future menu offerings, refinements and enhancements. Put in place plan to optimize overall menu nutrition quality. Focus areas include ingredients, sourcing, dietary considerations & labeling, trends, allergens and food marketing. Clearly define Wendy’s strategic food policy and nutrition objectives and execute plan to achieve them.
- Provide science and fact-based brand support on food and nutrition policy to influence menu development. Identify needs, gaps and emerging issues and create a plan to address them ensuring plan execution and risk mitigation. Provide ongoing updates on related competitive activity and legislative/regulatory developments.
- Execute strategies to foster, leverage and build relationships with consultants, academics, professional, health and trade organizations, NGO’s and suppliers to drive food and nutrition policy implementation, advocacy and stakeholder engagement.
- Equip Communications, Customer Care, Investor Relations, Marketing & Innovation and other teams with information and proof points to engage with consumers, employees, key opinion leaders, government, media and stakeholders on food and nutrition policy related to Wendy’s menu. Support the Company’s issue management needs on food and nutrition topics. Develop plan to communicate Wendy’s nutrition accomplishments to consumers.
This position will be based at The Wendy’s Company headquarters in Dublin, a suburb of Columbus, OH. The Wendy’s Company is the world’s second largest quick-service hamburger company. The Wendy’s system includes more than 6,500 franchise and Company restaurants in the U.S. and 25 other countries and U.S. territories worldwide.
Not familiar with Columbus? Visit www.liveworkplaycolumbus.com
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Master’s Degree in Food, Nutrition, Agricultural or Environmental Sciences; Marketing, Market Research or Communications; Public Affairs, Public Policy or Public Health; Corporate Social Responsibility or Sustainability preferred.
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in food service, manufacturing, hospitality, consumer packaged goods, industry or trade associations, or consulting services.
- Experience developing and implementing comprehensive plans for an organization, brand or program and leading cross-functional teams.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills and excellent written and oral communications skills.
Wendy’s is an equal employment opportunity employer who may provide reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Please note that the Wendy’s Company does not accept unsolicited résumé’s from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Master Service Agreement, and specific approval to submit résumé’s to an approved requisition, the Wendy’s company will not consider or approve payment regarding recruiter fees or referral compensations.