Do what you love. Love what you do.
At Workday, we help the world’s largest organizations adapt to what’s next by bringing finance, HR, and planning into a single enterprise cloud. We work hard, and we’re serious about what we do. But we like to have fun, too. We put people first, celebrate diversity, drive innovation, and do good in the communities where we live and work.
About the Team
Workday is committed to designing and building products utilizing machine learning that build positive impact for our customers, society and Workday while mitigating potential harms. We are seeking a leader to craft and implement our new Machine Learning (ML) Trust Program. The ML Trust leader and their team will report to the Leader of Workday’s Integrity Team and tasked with developing standard methodologies and advising and guiding Workday in the creation and responsible use of ML in Workday products and technology.
About the Role
This leader will play a key role in supporting Workday’s ongoing efforts to build innovative products thoughtfully and responsibly. They will work with the legal product team, product and engineering leaders and teams across the company to help anticipate the potential risks of new products and features, as well as, support the creation, execution, and tracking of effective mitigation strategies. They will help product and technology teams adopt tools and practices to enable them to innovate responsibly. They will be a member of the Workday Integrity Team and will ensure that their work is consistent with our broader ethics and compliance efforts.
Responsibilities include establishing and managing an Internal Governance Model that will operationalize Workday’s ML Principles which will include, among other things:
- Clarifying roles and responsibilities related to quality assurance and risk management for ML utilized by Workday
- Developing new and/or improving existing compliance policies and processes
- Developing a high risk framework to identify, evaluate and monitor ML deployments with potential to build unintended harms
- Developing training and communications for various internal and external partners
- Implement a ML Trust Advisory Committee which will provide oversight and guidance for the ML Trust Program
- Implement a ML Trust Liaison Program which will raise awareness and build a deeper understanding of Workday’s ML Principles
- Partner with product and technology leadership to understand the organization’s priorities, team culture, and products and features that may pose a higher risk
- Guide and partner in decisions that require assessment and evaluation of fairness, privacy and security and partner to develop effective mitigations for potential harms
- Develop and manage engagement plans to work with product and technology teams to embed responsible innovation practices in the product development process
- Build external awareness for ethics in ML with our customers, partners and all parts of the ecosystem
- Support response to customer inquiries regarding ML Trust program and efforts
- Maintain a strong focus on our customers while continuing to align and uphold our company values of Integrity, Customer Service, Innovation and Profitability
- Monitor the global ML Ethics regulatory and standards development landscape to align Workday’s ML Trust program with best practices
- A Bachelor’s Degree or above.
- A Master’s or PHD in a technical, business, social science or a related field is preferred. Emphasis will be given to practical experience managing the risks of complex software systems in high stakes environments.
- 5+ years of proven experience working with model governance and technology teams to assess and mitigate risks.
- Experience building a governance program from inception to implementation
- An understanding of how technology products, at a high level, and ML systems in particular, are developed and experience anticipating and mitigating potential harms to individuals, communities, and society
- Experience working collaboratively across a wide variety of functions to drive effective outcomes and earn trust, with a particular focus on working with data science teams
- Interpersonal skills tailored to audiences with different perspectives; with a specific focus on aligning data science and risk functions
- Experience with project management and with consensus-building
- Experience operating independently and executing at the strategic and operational level
- Experience educating & influencing product and technology teams Excellent verbal and written communications skill* s
Workday is an Equal Opportunity Employer including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.