Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide from more than 700 locations in 35 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and to grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Corporate Services provides a robust portfolio of global services utilized daily across the Firm to enable productivity, efficiency, safety, optimized business models and an enhanced employee experience in the workplace. We have over 5,000 resources (internal and external) managing a multi-billion dollar scope of services including Real Estate and Property Management services, Travel services, Security & Investigation services, and Document / Information Management services including research, printing, etc.
The HoCSS will be accountable for the strategic development and execution of global sustainability initiatives for the Corporate Services function within the Firm. These initiatives will be part of the Firmwide, global sustainability strategy and execution plan that will include some of the following components:
- Reduction of energy and water consumption
- Ongoing progress toward Firm carbon neutrality commitment
- Reduction of paper consumption and adoption of renewable sources
- Reduction of travel emissions and pursuit of offsetting measures
- Pursuit of sustainable sourcing / supply chain
- Waste reduction and pursuit of recycling efforts across the global building portfolio
- Formation of new build/renovation sustainability guidelines and pursuit of LEED/BREEAM certification where appropriate
- In conjunction with the Global Sustainable Finance team, increase employee engagement, drive performance and develop greater personal ownership of our sustainability efforts among employees
You will work directly with the Corporate Services leadership team (the Head of Corporate Services, the Corporate Services Chief Operating Officer and the various functional / regional heads) and other senior firm leaders to drive a coordinated global strategy and focused execution plan. You will contribute to the development and execution of critical business decisions that drive Corporate Services’ strategic direction and ultimately its success. The role will also partner closely with the Firm’s Chief Sustainability Officer and the Global Sustainable Finance team which is responsible for developing, managing, and coordinating the Firm’s long-term sustainability strategy, stakeholder engagement, and performance reporting. This position offers a unique opportunity to drive strategic, operational and cultural change across the Firm. In the spirit of Morgan Stanley’s core value of Giving Back, our objective is to deliver world class solutions, balancing economic, social and environmental impacts.
- Lead the formulation of the Corporate Services-driven, long-term, global sustainability vision and strategy and operating principles
- Form and lead internal, cross-functional global working group that will shape and oversee the Firm’s strategy and priorities for reducing the impact of its footprint
- Collaborate with senior executives to agree and align on a global coordinated sustainability plan and secure the resources needed to execute on the agreed upon plan
- Identify initial high-level requirements that satisfy stakeholder expectations and translate the goals of the organization into outcomes that effectively and efficiently meets the goals of stakeholders
- Set goals with the leadership team, agree on budget and key milestones, and develop related metrics for performance measurement
- Use long-term business and sustainability objectives as basis for determining which projects are given priority; build sustainability principles into short and long-term business planning, capital planning and operations planning
- Formulate specific action plans with defined objectives, targets and responsibilities to support agreed upon sustainability strategies
- Drive execution of key initiatives, manage complexity, resources and timely completion of key initiatives balancing cost, schedule, scope, and tradeoffs that must be made between economic, social, and environmental factors surrounding each initiative
- Partner with cross-functional peers to create and implement communication strategies that provide transparency across the Firm and (internally) publicize the Firm’s sustainable operations efforts
- Partner with Global Sustainable Finance team to drive strategy, prepare externally-reported metrics on sustainable operation efforts, and engage employees
- Build financial business case to justify a project and balance with non-financial factors that substantiate the project’s long-term economic, social, and environmental impacts, examples include lifecycle / Total Cost of Ownership analysis, extended pay-back periods for investments, etc.
- Address concerns and recommend risk-mitigation approaches associated with anticipated factors that have not yet become issues; resolve identified issues
- Ensure appropriate internal controls and measurement systems are in place to support sustainable operations efforts
- Measure and monitor progress against strategies, objectives and performance targets
- Minimum of 10-15 years of direct experience in developing and driving enterprise level sustainability strategies with successful and measurable outcomes
- Specific experience in sustainable real estate, leasing, purchasing, food and beverage, energy, water and waste strategies is required, preferable on a global scale
- Strong change and program management experience at enterprise level
- Proven ability to objectively influence and effectively communicate with senior executives and all levels of the organization using fact based analysis methods and aligning business and sustainable priorities
- Innovative approach and deep understanding of best-in-class sustainability practices is essential
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with strong ability to synthesize business requirements into actionable plans
- Proven track record of strong project management and development of performance measurement metrics
- Strong commercial skillset and experience in business analysis and change ROI
- Effective interpersonal skills, ability to earn the trust of the team and business partners, develop strong and sustained relationships
- Possess sound judgment and strong sense of integrity
- Strong time management skills and ability to effectively execute multiple and competing priorities, simultaneously
- Experience in financial services industry preferred