The Enviva team is driven by our shared vision for a renewable energy future. We are a fast-growing, purpose-driven, global energy company specializing in delivering sustainable wood bioenergy solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of sustainable wood pellets, which provide a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
At Enviva, we care about people, forests, and climate change. Together, we serve our customers with the professionalism of a global leader and the entrepreneurial spirit of a company that is redefining the future of renewable energy today.
Enviva is growing fast, and with that growth comes opportunities to advance your career and have an impact on a global scale. As leaders in a developing industry, we take on tough challenges and set and achieve bold goals. Whether you are seeking a role at one of our plants, ports, or corporate offices, you will find opportunities to leverage your skills and reach your full potential.
The Director of Climate Strategy and Engagement will work with internal and external stakeholders to design and carry out research and analysis that will inform Enviva’s research, communications, and stakeholder engagement strategy. They will also manage Enviva’s annual ESG reporting, work with internal and external partners to help reduce and offset emissions up and down the value chain, and assist with preparation of Enviva’s Corporate Sustainability Report.
The Director of Climate Strategy and Engagement will help the company to fulfill its vision of providing renewable fuels consistent with our Responsible Sourcing Policy, in order to improve the environmental profile of energy generation. This position reports to the Vice President and Chief Sustainability Officer.
Reduce GHG Emissions in the Value Chain (15%)
- Work with partners to create and manage opportunities for additional carbon storage on the landscape, by building and implementing a portfolio of carbon storage opportunities together with partners. Sample projects might be:
- Developing and implementing a bottomland hardwood carbon offset project concept in eastern NC and southern VA
- Creating and implementing a portfolio of options that can improve carbon storage through changes in forest harvest practices
- Work with supply chain partners to help mitigate our Scope 3 emissions in sectors such as shipping and freight
Sustainability and ESG Reporting (35%)
- Manage annual sustainability and ESG reporting processes (e.g. WRI GHG Protocol, SASB, GRI, TCFD) and associated consultants
- Communicate results to internal stakeholders to assist with strategic decision-making
- Provide strategic advice for aligning Enviva sustainability practices and goals with reporting initiatives
- Identify and develop metrics for external reporting that are responsive to investor and stakeholder needs and that highlight Enviva’s commitment to sustainability, stewardship, transparency, and responsibility
- Assist with ongoing reporting of these metrics on a regular basis for external and internal stakeholders
- Lead third-party assurance process for ESG metrics and public disclosures
Knowledge Management & Research (25%)
- Conduct literature reviews, assist with drafting white papers, and manage a research library to follow the latest relevant research findings in forestry and energy sectors to inform corporate strategy and thought leadership
- Research support to develop and implement Enviva’s climate change mitigation strategy including collecting relevant information and data from relevant parties: utilities, shipping partners, engineering firms
Internal and External Communication (25%)
- Support internal processes and manage external consultants to produce data inputs to annual ESG and Sustainability reports
- Develop written and visual materials to support Enviva’s engagement with external sustainability, climate, and ESG groups and initiatives, certification bodies, trade associations, and customers
- Serve as point person for data requests from cross-functional team for external communication purposes
- Assist sustainability and communication teams with presentations and communication materials
- Master’s degree in forestry/ environmental science, forest economics, sustainability science or a related field is required
- Expert knowledge of the range of technical and policy issues impacting the biomass industry
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in research, technical analysis, policy development, investor relations, ESG, or a related field
- Extremely strong writing, speaking and presentation skills, and equally strong interpersonal skills and strategy acumen
- Demonstrated ability to innovate and to think creatively and strategically
- Ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines and high intensity work environment
- Demonstrated success leading teams in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Sound judgment, strong problem solving skills and experience working directly with senior executives
- Ability to travel approximately 25-30% of the time
Enviva is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in any term, condition or privilege of employment. Enviva does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member, genetic information or any other status protected by law. Enviva complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we operate.
Please visit the Enviva careers website.