The Corporate Responsibility (CR) Director, focusing on sustainable product and packaging development and raw materials, is responsible for helping to enable PVH brands and divisions to achieve environmental sustainability and circularity targets.
Under the direction of the Vice President, Environmental Sustainability & Product Stewardship, the Director will support strategy development to help present new business opportunities, mitigate risk, enhance business performance, and support the long-term success of the company. The Director will drive implementation for global circularity and sustainable innovation programs to support business divisions and serve as a primary resource on sustainable design and innovation for designers, as well as raw material and technical design colleagues. She/he will also help manage the Environmental Sustainability team and dotted line supervisees.
The success of this role will require the Director to collaborate closely with the Offshore CR team, PVH Supply teams, PVH Innovation Next, Design, Marketing, external supply chain partners, and key Multi-Stakeholder Initiatives (such Textile Exchange, The Sustainable Packaging Coalition, Ellen MacArthur Foundation).
The Director will exhibit excellent communication and program management skills, effective problem-solving, and the ability to foster partnerships. Direct experience in product develop, design and/or textile science is a plus.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES/ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE JOB:
Partner with PVH brands and divisions to integrate environmental sustainability and circularity into product and packaging development and material selection. Drive initiatives with both short and long-term opportunities.
- Facilitate internal forums, trainings and networks to share cross-division insight, best practices and resources.
- Initiate and facilitate cross-departmental collaboration for sustainable innovation and circularity projects.
- Drive initiatives that focus on the most used materials for products and packaging: cotton, polyester, paper and various plastics used for packaging.
- Help address PVH’s chemical management commitments through product development.
Provide internal business partners with guidance and direction on sustainable innovation and circularity opportunities and claims.
- Develop a process and standards to prioritize materials based on lifecycle assessment approaches and other sustainable product evaluation tools, i.e. the Sustainable Apparel Coalition’s Higg product module.
- Introduce and evaluate tools and certifications that promote sustainable and circular design, raw material use and product labeling, including Cradle to Cradle Certification and the Global Recycling Standard.
- Maintain and promote use of PVH sustainable design resources, such as the Sustainable Packaging Guideline.
Steward animal welfare initiatives throughout PVH.
- Manage global compliance with the PVH Animal Welfare policy, provide guidance to business divisions on how to apply and make updates as necessary.
Stakeholder Engagement and Reporting:
- Communicate program developments to CR leadership and the broader audiences through reporting mechanisms, such as the annual PVH CR report, as well as PVH comms and marketing teams.
- Track industry progress on sustainable innovation initiatives and related regulatory initiatives and identify collaboration opportunities.
- Support partnerships with material suppliers and/or academic institutions to develop new or improved sustainable materials for use in products.
- Identify KPIs and other metrics to demonstrate progress toward goals, and execute these measurements.
- Build and facilitate partnerships with key multi-stakeholder Initiatives and civil society/NGOs, including the Sustainable Apparel Coalition, Textile Exchange, The Sustainable Packaging Coalition, The Ellen MacArthur Foundation and Fashion for Good.
- Evaluate external stakeholder and NGO requests related to sustainable materials and provide recommendations on responses to the VP, Environmental Sustainability and other leaders.
- Connect PVH’s CR environmental programs within the broader CR supplier engagement program for efficiencies and greater positive impact.
- Coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development assignments, opportunities while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance.
CR LEADERSHIP SUPPORT:
- Help develop and refine environmental strategy, priorities and measurements, i.e.
- With respect to the environmental performance of suppliers and wet processors.
- New re-commerce and other circular product and business model opportunities.
- Communicate with impact and help build the business case for environmental initiatives with internal and external parties.
- Support environmental issues management, particularly related to product related queries.
- Participate in the instrumental role in the internal PVH CR industry tool task force focused on sustainable product development, evaluation and design tools.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience: 10+ years’ experience in sustainability or equivalent. Apparel industry, product design and/or raw material (in apparel or other consumer facing industries) is required.
- Education: Required: B.S. / B. A. or M.S. in business administration, environmental science, or similar discipline.
- Experience managing complex projects globally, from planning through execution.
- Strong leader who can who can help develop and drive sustainability strategies throughout a complex, multi-faceted organization.
- Ability to problem solve and deliver results.
- Ability to development strong internal and external relationships
- Demonstrated ability to manage and inspire performance of others, and coach/develop staff.
- Strong business acumen, judgement, instincts, and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to think strategically and contextually, and to anticipate the needs and expectations of executive leaders.
- Proven ability to manage, foster and support a team-oriented environment
- Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a dynamic and constantly changing environment.
Please visit the PVH careers website.