New Hires based in the US & Puerto Rico will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for Covid-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption or accommodation to this vaccination requirement, subject to applicable law.
The Director, ESG Strategy & Engagement will join the Company as a member of the Office of Social Business Innovation, serving as the strategic lead for access as part of the company’s Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) portfolio. This leader will be familiar with the ESG landscape, particularly in the area of access, and help drive outcomes that create value in alignment with our ESG portfolio and establish best practices. This person should have a successful track record of achievement, strong leadership, and business acumen to serve as a trusted advisor with cross-functional leaders to provide insights on highly complex and/or sensitive economic and social issues that have the potential to impact the Company’s reputation and license to operate. The candidate selected for this role will work under the guidance of the Executive Director, ESG Strategy & Engagement, in a fast-paced and changing environment with a rapidly evolving set of expectations from all stakeholder groups.
- As a strategic ESG lead, proactively collaborate and facilitate dialogue with internal stakeholders, including corporate executives, to assure ongoing support for and develop strategies and tactics to address key issues within the area of access, including the identification and tracking of key metrics and goals as appropriate.
- Contribute to ESG team’s participation in major ESG surveys and indices as well as develop and implement strategies to meet stakeholder (customer, government, investor, employee) expectations.
- Participate in internal working groups with cross-functional peers to ensure progress on access to health as part of the company’s ESG. This will include executing on related topics on the three-year ESG roadmap in partnership with key business units/leaders.
- Help advise leadership on global best practices, risks and opportunities with respect to ESG and access, through monitoring and analyzing strategies, trends, policies, and programs.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders, including non-governmental organizations, international development organizations, customers.
- Represent the company in cross-industry and cross-sector forums.
Education Minimum Requirements:
- BA/BS degree.
Required Experience and Skills:
- 10+ years of experience in any of the following: corporate responsibility, global health, or the pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience in managing ESG issues and tracking industry-wide trends, preferably with an emphasis on the pharmaceutical industry.
- Self-starter with a track record of leading collaborative efforts with cross functional teams and working effectively at all levels of an organization.
- Ability to build coalitions, influence, and build credibility and trust while driving outcomes and holding others accountable.
- Strong critical thinking skills with the ability to quickly assess situations, identify gaps and possible solutions.
- A high-level strategic thinker who is capable of staying on top of tactical execution, exercises exceptional judgment, and operates independently.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven project management skills and the ability to juggle multiple tasks and competing priorities.
- Superior research and analytical skills.
- Budget and KPI management.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience working in the pharmaceutical industry or a related industry (hospital system, public health, etc.).
- Our Human Health Division maintains a “patient first, profits later” ideology. The organization is comprised of sales, marketing, market access, digital analytics and commercial professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing our medicines to our customers worldwide.
Who we are
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.