We hope you’re interested in building a home with us. Even if you don’t feel that you meet every requirement listed in this job description, we still encourage you to apply.
About the Role
As a Sustainability Manager, you will oversee the team managing all internal and external ESG content (Impact Report, ESG disclosures), training and resources (Sustainability hub content, brand reporting), events (Earth Day, Good By Design Award), marketing guidance and certification guides for brand-level on-product marketing and more. This position is integral to continue establishing WSI as the leading sustainable home furnishings company, building off the company’s recognition as one of Barron’s 100 Most Sustainable Companies for five years running. This role is highly cross-functional, and the ideal candidate will need to build strong relationships, be comfortable with a wide range of responsibilities from crafting narratives to analyzing data, remain undeterred in the face of obstacles, problem-solve, and know how to navigate and influence within a large and complex organization. You will work directly with the head of sustainability, direct reports, and cross-functional partners such as brand (merchants, marketing, and product development), public relations and corporate marketing, investor relations, human resources, legal, finance, and external nonprofit partners to ensure that we maintain our sustainability leadership across our enterprise and with key external and internal audiences and continue to develop the tools, training, and materials that embed sustainability and social impact into our business and enable us to speak to these initiatives with transparency and authenticity.
Key responsibilities include oversight and management of the team responsible for brand and internal engagement in sustainability implementation and social impact as well as external ESG communications strategy:
- Lead external ESG strategy alongside the ESG analyst and oversee the workplan, including Impact Report, disclosure strategy, ratings agency and investor ESG engagement, sustainability website, etc. Collaborate closely with finance, investor relations, legal, human resources, and corporate communications partners to maintain and extend the company’s ESG leadership.
- Develop and oversee execution of the sustainability internal engagement strategy, including: brand president and leadership, all WSI associate engagement events and opportunities, program specific training opportunities and cadence, new hire orientation content, store communications and training, ongoing communications (newsletters, organic inspirational stories, industry best practices and innovations) and vendor sustainability communications; regularly innovate on new ways to improve internal communications and education around sustainability to drive adoption of programs.
- Work with CMO, WSI PR, and brand marketing to support cross-brand sustainability storytelling that is accurate, authentic, and impactful and increase overall sustainability marketing alignment at the corporate and brand level. Work with the broader ESG team to support each brand in communicating customer-relevant and business-driven sustainability initiatives, meet public goals, and the develop new goals.
- Oversee creation of resources to support brands in tracking, authenticating, and marketing sustainability commitments and sustainable product information (including but not limited to certification marketing guide, approved certification language, approval process for certifying bodies and nonprofit partners, etc.)
- Vet, establish and help maintain key nonprofit partnerships
- Work closely with global sustainability team to ensure successful execution and ongoing operations of partner-based initiatives.
- Oversee and support emerging social impact programs as needed (supplier diversity, handcraft), helping develop strategy, piloting the program, establishing business case, building organizational buy-in, and pitching to leadership
- Follow industry trends, best practices, emerging regulations, and competitor’s initiatives to inform ongoing strategy and disclosures and keep cross-functional stakeholders informed.
- Embodies the highest level of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- A true passion for sustainability and social impact.
- Self-directed, creative problem solver.
- Maintains a global perspective and is culturally sensitive and aware.
- Influences key members of an organization at all levels.
- Possesses a personally engaging style with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Thrives in a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrates a creative, energetic and motivated spirit.
- Possesses attention to detail while managing simultaneous project in a dynamic environment.
- 5+ years’ related experience in sustainability, social impact, communication and training, or corporate responsibility in supply chain or retail.
- Dynamic leader, skilled at managing senior stakeholders and effecting change through influence and able to motivate and mentor others within work group
- Strong communicator, with the ability to think big picture while considering implementation and develop clear, precise training materials.
- Strong data and quantitative skills to drive strategic decision-making
- Strong information-seeking and problem-solving skills and a drive to make things happen
- Ability to listen, understand challenges or underlying concerns, share ideas and develop effective responses or elevate to higher management
Benefits Just for You
Depending on your position and your location, here are a few highlights of what you might be eligible for:
- A generous discount on all Williams-Sonoma, Inc. brands
- A 401(k) plan and other investment opportunities
- Paid vacations, holidays, and time off to volunteer
- Health benefits, dental and vision insurance, including same-sex domestic partner benefits
- Tax-free commuter benefits
- A wellness program that supports your physical, financial and emotional health
Your Journey in Continued Learning
- In-person and online learning opportunities through WSI University
- Cross-brand and cross-function career opportunities
- Resources for self-development
- Advisor (Mentor) program
- Career development workshops and learning programs
- Speaker series
WSI will not now or in the future commence an immigration case or “sponsor” an individual for this position (for example, H-1B or other employment-based immigration
This role is not eligible for relocation assistance.
Williams-Sonoma, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Williams-Sonoma, Inc. will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, or other applicable state or local laws and ordinances.
Founded in 1956, Williams-Sonoma, Inc. is the premier specialty retailer of high-quality products for the kitchen and home in the United States. Our family of brands are Williams Sonoma, Williams Sonoma Home, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn teen, pottery barn kids, Rejuvenation, Mark & Graham, west elm, or Outward. These brands are among the best known and most respected in the industry. We offer beautifully-designed, stylish and functional products for every area of the home, including the kitchen, living room, bedroom, home office, closet, laundry room and even outdoor spaces. We’ve seen some big changes since our first brick-and-mortar store opened more than half of a century ago. What hasn’t changed is our passion for high-quality products, functional design, outstanding customer service, and enhancing the lives of our customers and the communities where we operate. Today, we’re a multi-brand, multi-channel, global enterprise supported by state-of-the-art technology and some of the most talented teams in retailing - and we’re always looking for new energy and ideas.