Staff | Faris Natour
Director, Human Rights | San Francisco
Faris leads BSR’s human rights practice, advising companies on human rights strategy, policy development, human rights impact assessments, and other elements of human rights due diligence. He has applied this knowledge for companies in the energy and extractives, information and communications technology, pharmaceuticals, consumer products, and media sectors. Faris joined BSR in 2005 as a manager in Advisory Services, and focused on sustainability reporting, stakeholder engagement, and human rights. From 2008 to 2010, he led BSR’s research team, which identifies key trends in sustainability and translates them into opportunities for business.
Prior to joining BSR, Faris spent four years as a social research analyst and team leader with Calvert Group, where he was responsible for investment analysis of corporate human rights performance. A German national, he has also worked at Human Rights Watch and at the European Commission Delegation in Washington, D.C.
Faris holds an M.A. in International Law from George Washington University Law School, and a J.D. from the University of Regensburg.
- Reports: Legitimate and Meaningful: Stakeholder Engagement in Human Rights Due Diligence
- Blog: Human Rights in the Supply Chain: A Shared Challenge
- Blog: Advancing Human Rights: Three Lessons for Businesses
- BSR Insight: How to Conduct an Effective Human Rights Impact Assessment
- Blog: Zero Dark Thirty: The Human Rights Responsibilities of Entertainment Companies