Staff | Faris Natour
Director, Human Rights | San Francisco
Faris leads BSR’s human rights practice, advising companies on human rights strategy, policy development, human rights impact assessments, and other elements of human rights due diligence. He has developed human rights strategies and management systems for companies in the energy and extractives, ICT, pharmaceuticals, consumer products, media, and other sectors. A lawyer by training, Faris is a frequent speaker and writer on business and human rights issues and teaches business and human rights at Columbia University’s Institute for the Study of Human Rights.
Faris joined BSR in 2005 as a Manager, Advisory Services, focused on sustainability reporting, stakeholder engagement, and human rights. From 2008 to 2010, Faris led BSR’s Research team, which identifies key trends in sustainability and translates them into opportunities for business. Prior to joining BSR, Faris spent four years as a social research analyst and team leader with Calvert Group, where he was responsible for investment analysis of corporate human rights performance. He has also worked at Human Rights Watch and at the European Commission Delegation in Washington, D.C.
A native of Germany, Faris holds an M.A. in International Law from George Washington University Law School and a J.D. from the University of Regensburg, Germany. He is based in San Francisco.
Human rights, sustainability reporting, stakeholder engagement
- BSR Insight: How to Conduct an Effective Human Rights Impact Assessment
- Reports: Applying the Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights to the ICT Industry: Version 2.0
- BSR Insight: Bad Bedfellows: Avoiding Complicity in Human Rights Violations
- BSR Insight: Integrating Human Rights Into Business Operations
- BSR Insight: Four Steps for Human Rights Management