As we head into the final month of 2014, BSR staff around the world will attend, speak at, and host several sustainable business events. One of the events we are focused on in particular this month is this year’s United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) climate talks in Lima, Peru, which will set the groundwork for 2015’s crucial COP 21 meeting in Paris. Three BSR staff members will be attending the climate talks and reporting out via the BSR blog on what is happening in Lima.
Where We’ll Be
- December 1: Information and Communications Technology Manager Alice Valvodova will participate in the Global Network Initiative and Telecommunications Industry Dialogue’s learning forum “Transparency and Human Rights in the Digital Age” in Geneva.
- December 1: Partnership Development and Research Director Edward Cameron, Partnership Development and Research Manager Jessica Davis Pluess, and Advisory Services Manager Paula Pelaez will lead a dialogue with BNY Mellon on how to unlock social finance by engaging the mainstream investment community at the UN Foundation in Washington, D.C.
- December 1-3: Human Rights Director Faris Natour, and Advisory Services Managers Peter Nestor, Chloë Poynton, and Valvodova will participate in the UN Forum on Business and Human Rights in Geneva. BSR will co-host a side event and dinner reception on December 1 on business engagement at the Forum. Nestor will speak about human rights training at the UN Global Compact Human Rights and Labor Working Group Meeting. Poynton will speak on human rights dilemmas at the UN Global Compact session "The Importance of Local Implementation."
- December 1-9: Cameron, Associate Director for Climate Change Ryan Schuchard, and Partnership Development and Research Manager Cammie Erickson will attend the UNFCCC COP 20 climate talks in Lima. Watch for their blogs on the climate talks via the BSR blog, and follow their Twitter feeds for highlights: @EdwardJCameron, @ryanschuchard, and @cammieerickson.
- December 2-3: Advisory Services Associate Directors Alison Colwell and Roger McElrath will attend the "SPE HSSE-SR: Beyond Conventional Oil & Gas: New Social Opportunities and Risks Workshop" in Banff, Canada. Colwell and McElrath are on the planning committee of the group.
- December 3: President and CEO Aron Cramer and Advisory Services Director Guy Morgan will attend the International Integrated Reporting Council meeting in Istanbul.
- December 4: Advisory Services Manager Cecile Oger will speak on trends in nonfinancial reporting and materiality at a breakfast event organized by Armonia in Paris.
- December 9: Financial Services Director John Hodges will moderate the panel “Responsible Corporate and Investor Reporting” at Responsible Investor North America in New York.
- December 11-12: Schuchard will attend the University of California, Davis, NextSTEPS Transportation Symposium.
What We’re Hosting
- December 2: BSR will hold a members-only Sustainability Matters Webinar on the International Labour Organization.
- December 5: BSR will host a French-language breakfast event on materiality with Morgan, Oger, and Groupe Bel CSR Director Frédérique Gaulard at our Paris office.
- December 17: BSR will hold a Sustainability Matters Webinar on our new Climate Science Initiative, which will be open to BSR members and members of the group. Please email Corinna Kester for more information about the webinar and group.