As world leaders gather next week for the UN General Assembly and related discussions in New York, another high-profile event is taking place concurrently to draw attention to an urgent global challenge: Climate Week NYC.
As part of our Business in a Climate-Constrained World initiative—and BSR’s work as a founding partner of We Mean Business, a climate-focused business coalition—many BSR staff members will be attending Climate Week events and meetings September 22-26. We are also opening our office space in Union Square for BSR corporate members to network, work quietly, and recharge.
To read Climate Week highlights, you can follow us on Twitter @BSRnews, and keep up with the staff who will be there (their Twitter handles are below). You can also follow the hashtag #WeMeanIt to see updates from We Mean Business partners, and if you can’t attend Climate Week, catch the livestream here.
Here’s where we will be—please say hello if you will be there, too:
Monday, September 22
- President and CEO Aron Cramer (@aroncramer), Partnership Development and Research Director Edward Cameron(@EdwardJCameron), Associate Director of Communications Eva Dienel (@EvaDienel), and Associate Director of Climate Change Ryan Schuchard (@RyanSchuchard) will attend the opening of Climate Week NYC.
- During the opening event, Cramer will host the We Mean Business Global Solutions discussion (noon-1 p.m.), which will feature IKEA President and CEO Peter Agnefjäll, WBCSD President Peter Bakker, Apple CEO Tim Cook, and UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Executive Secretary Christiana Figueres.
- Cameron will attend Action in Climate Change and Health, organized by the American College of Sports Medicine, the Global Climate and Health Alliance, the University of Wisconsin, and the Public Health Institute.
- Cameron will attend the CDKN’s Island Climate Leadership event on clean energy, as well as Women Leading Solutions on the Frontlines of Climate Change, hosted by the Women’s Earth and Climate Action Network.
- Cameron will attend a UN Women and Mary Robinson Foundation—Climate Justice event, Leaders’ Forum on Women Leading the Way: Raising Ambition for Climate Action.
- Consumer Products Associate Director Elisa Neimtzow will attend the UNORCID event Towards a Deforestation-Free Future: The Demand Side Challenge.
- Schuchard will attend an event on climate change and transport hosted by Amtrak, International Union of Railways (UIC), Partnership on Sustainability Low-Carbon Transport (SLoCaT), and UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA).
- Schuchard will also attend an assembly hosted by the Climate and Clean Air Coalition.
Tuesday, September 23
- Cramer will attend the UN Climate Summit, hosted by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
- Cramer and Vice President Laura Gitman (@LauraGitman) will attend the Ford Foundation and International Labor Organization’s gathering on employment, decent work, and sustainable development.
- Cameron will attend a panel on women and climate justice, hosted by Globalgreen Grants Fund, North Star Fund, and Bolder Giving.
- Financial Services Director John Hodges will attend the Carbon Forum North America.
- Schuchard will attend the CDP 2014 and S&P 500 report launch.
Wednesday, September 24
- Cameron will attend the Friends Committee on National Legislation and the Quaker UN Office discussion Harmonizing within the Climate Advocacy Community.
- Niemtzow and Advisory Services Associate Meghan Ryan will attend EATx, an event focused on feeding “the next 9 billion,” hosted by the EAT Initiative and the Avatar Alliance Foundation.
- Advisory Services Manager Paula Pelaez will attend the Business Call to Action Forum.
Thursday, September 25
- Cameron will attend the Ford Foundation's Strengthening Philanthropy’s Engagement with the Post-2015 Development Agenda.
- Schuchard will attend the Rockefeller Foundation and BBC Media Action’s event Innovative Strategies for Living with Climate Change.
- Schuchard will also attend the ND-GAIN Corporate Adaptation Prize event.
If you are a corporate member of BSR, you may join us in our open office space Monday-Friday next week. Please inquire about details and to register by emailing Hetal Shah at firstname.lastname@example.org.