Sustainable Air Freight Alliance Overview
Currently, air transport represents around two percent of global carbon dioxide emissions. However, the air freight sector is projected to grow at five percent per year until 2050—faster than any other mode—and with potential to increase emissions significantly. Shippers, freight forwarders, and airlines are increasingly looking for ways to measure and improve their environmental performance.
In recent years, the industry has undertaken collective engagement through the Air Carbon Initiative and the development of a reporting protocol agreed via the Global Logistics Emissions Council in coordination with the International Air Transport Association (IATA). The aviation industry has also achieved performance improvements and commitments thanks to the leadership of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), IATA, and individual airlines.
However, until now there has been no forum for continuous engagement between stakeholders, which is essential to build trust, understand how data is used in reporting and decision-making, and co-create sustainable solutions.
The Sustainable Air Freight Alliance (SAFA) is a buyer-supplier collaboration between shippers, freight forwarders, and air freight carriers to track and reduce carbon dioxide emissions from air freight and promote responsible freight transport.
- Build dialogue with your business partners to understand needs and strengthen long-term business relationships
- Demonstrate company and industry leadership on sustainability
- Reduce exposure to risks (e.g. regulations) to the air freight industry by leveraging collective knowledge and action
- Help shape international standards, in line with ICAO, IATA’s work, and sectorial initiatives
- Access a collaborative forum for sharing sustainability information, best practices for reducing GHG emissions, and innovation opportunities to help achieve company goals
- Credibly measure and report company performance using industry-agreed standardized methodologies and KPIs via one reporting survey from a neutral, secure, assured, and confidential third-party reporting partner