Morgan Stanley’s Environmental and Social Risk Management (ESRM) team is responsible for developing, maintaining and executing the firm’s approach to identifying, analyzing, and addressing environmental and social risks across its businesses. The ESRM team works closely with the Global Sustainable Finance team and Business Units across the firm.
The firm seeks a Vice President to fill an important role on Morgan Stanley’s ESRM team to assist in conducting heightened due diligence on transactions and supporting the firm’s overall strategy on Environmental and Social Risk Management.
Core functions will include:
- Performing environmental and social risk due diligence on transactions
- Conducting ESG research to support ESRM strategy and policy development, transaction diligence, client engagement, and sector risk analyses
- Preparing research summaries, presentations, and communications for delivery to internal stakeholders across Morgan Stanley’s businesses
- Supporting the integration of data analytics in the team’s due diligence processes
- Monitoring environmental and social risks and trends, managing corresponding tracking tools, and generating qualitative and quantitative insights for the team and the firm
- Helping manage updates to the firm’s ESRM policies and processes
- Supporting the team’s engagement with clients and external stakeholders
The individual must be a self-starter and a good communicator with excellent attention to detail. S/he must have sound knowledge of and interest in environmental and social issues.
Critical success factors include:
- Superior project execution, research, and client servicing skills Willingness to take the initiative to contribute to team success
- Ability to synthesize information from disparate sources into concise reports
- Skills in collaboration and working with multiple stakeholders internally and externally
- Knowledge of sustainability and human rights issues as they impact business
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience in sustainability, human rights, EHS, or similar field; or 5+ years of relevant professional experience with an advanced degree in law, sustainability, business, environmental science, or other degree (with relevant subject matter expertise)
- Prior experience conducting research, diligence, or performing similar analyses of corporate policies and practices
- Prior experience working with data analytics tools, including excel and GIS, preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Project management skills with the ability to manage competing priorities
- Strategic and critical thinker able to work independently
- Team player