Sony Electronics, Inc. look for the risk-takers, the collaborators, the inspired and the inspirational. We want the people who are brave enough to work at the cutting edge and create solutions that will enrich and improve the lives of people across the globe. So, if you want to make the world say wow, let’s talk.
The Sustainability Manager is primarily responsible for maintaining ISO 14001 based environmental management system and deepening the culture of sustainability and environmental improvements across Sony Electronics (SEL) and group companies in North America.
As a member of Corporate Sustainability and Product Compliance department, he/she will manage the North America Regional Environmental Office (NAREO) to assure conformance with Sony’s global environmental requirements for operations and to strengthen Sony’s efforts in environmental sustainability.
The position will develop, implement, and maintain plans and programs that ensure operational environmental compliance and enhance the performance of site operations and foster a sustainable culture amongst employees where sustainability is an integral part of the core business value. This position coordinates and collaborates with various departments, sites, group companies, and headquarters in Japan and act as the functional expert, building environmental knowledge and capacity across the organization. He/she will report to Director at Corp. Sustainability and Product Compliance.
The Sustainability Manager has the following key responsibilities:
- Ensure that sites and companies under NAREO establish proper metrics and programs to ensure compliance with emerging environmental laws and regulations and achieve Sony’s global goals on the environment. Monitor trends and benchmark around sustainability in North America and identify areas of improvement and develop and deploy regional policies and initiatives to address the improvement needs. Facilitate sharing and implementation of best management practices among sites and company operations. As a liaison, represent regional perspectives in internal discussion to develop a global direction at Sony.
- Maintain ISO 14001 certification program and environmental compliance of the operation as an environmental management representative for SEL San Diego and support applicable facilities in the region, ensuring regulatory compliance of facilities, maintaining procedures and other documented information, driving for continuous improvements and reduction of environmental impacts. Work with relevant departments, participating sites, group companies as well as stakeholders and conduct environmental audits of applicable facilities for continual improvement.
- Manage environmental data reporting for all facilities under NAREO, ensuring proper and timely reporting. Monitor and analyze site specific and regional trend and progress toward targets and report it on a regular basis. Support annual data verification audit and manage sustainability reporting and disclosure requirements.
- Manage internal and external communication regarding environmental and sustainability initiatives, product features, and achievements. Build out employee engagement programs and internal awareness of environmental efforts, collaborating with individuals across the organization. Promote volunteer activities and maintain relationships with partner organizations and non-profits. Manage programs and events to strengthen Sony’s environmental efforts through collaboration and partnership with various stakeholders. Monitor and manage customer and other stakeholder expectations, inquiries and requirements on sustainability.
REQUISITE SKILLS and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Preferred field of study include Sustainability, Environmental Management, Environmental Science, or Corporate Responsibility.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of work experience in a related field.
- Good technical understanding of environmental issues, basic environmental compliance requirements and their relationship to various business aspects are required.
- Experiences in managing ISO 14001 certification and environmental auditing as well as operational environmental compliance requirements are strongly desired.
- Must be detailed and results oriented with keen interests in the sustainability and environmental field.
- Must be highly motivated to learn and manage additional areas of responsibilities as emerge
- Strong communications and team building abilities as well as leadership skill required
- Must be capable of working on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast paced environment with limited direct supervision
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills as well as ability to interact with all levels of management, employees, and stakeholders required
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, and organizational skills required
- Proficiency with MS Windows based applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint required. Advanced knowledge with MS Excel is preferred.
Sony Electronics is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values employees with a broad cross-cultural perspective. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. All applicants will receive fair and impartial treatment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information or on any other basis which is protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Please visit the Sony careers website.