The Corporate Relations (CR) team’s role is to protect and promote Diageo’s reputation and licence to operate in service of becoming the most trusted and respected consumer goods company in China.
CR will work as business owners and strategic partners to transform the competitive environment within which we operate, unlocking value across a number of key pillars, including having a positive impact on society and the communities in which we work, live, source and sell.
The Society & Community Impact Manager plays a key role within the Corporate Relations function in China focused on Promoting Positive Drinking (Must Do 4) and Pioneering Grain to Glass Sustainability (Must Do 6) as well as leading on non-financial reporting and other impact measures to provide credibility and build competitive trust and to tell a compelling story to internal and external stakeholders.
In an increasingly volatile and uncertain world, we need to take action to ensure that Diageo can thrive over the long term. This means preserving the natural resources upon which our long-term success depends and positively impacting the communities where we live. Grain-to-Glass extends throughout our entire value chain – including production sites, corporate teams, suppliers, local raw material providers, consumers and communities where we operate. We must be bold in pioneering new solutions to reduce our impact on the environment and to create a positive impact in communities around the world.
The role is designed to develop, progress and embed a strong Society agenda across the company – representing all aspects of Diageo in Society (including Positive Drinking, Grain to Glass Sustainability, impact reporting and other efforts to build credibility and trust).
Purpose Of Role
To support the delivery of Diageo’s performance ambition and our 2030 Diageo in Society targets to become the most trusted and respected consumer goods companies in China, by protecting and promoting our reputation and licence to operate, through the strategic development of outstanding communication programmes that earn recognition for Diageo China, our brands, people and contributions.
The Focus Of This Role Is To
- Develop and manage Diageo China’s strategy for community impact (including skills development, women’s empowerment, human rights and other activities), taking a holistic approach of sustainable development, in order to gain the trust and respect of Diageo’s principal global stakeholders and maximise value to the business in China.
- Provide key role in connecting functions to an integrated strategy for community impact – through management of strategy, policies and communications – and stakeholder engagement (internal & external)
- Ensure compliance with all relevant community impact policies and standards
- Manage key external partnerships related to Diageo community impact activities
- Act as the primary point of contact for China in the Asia Pacific Region across the full agenda for Diageo in Society (including promoting positive drinking and pioneering grain to glass sustainability) – gathering and sharing insights of the on the ground reality in China with the APAC Society Lead.
- Collaborate with Communications Manager to develop, roll out and monitor a joined-up communications plan to engage employees and build our reputation with external stakeholders
- Lead on non-financial reporting, to capture and report performance data across Must Dos 4, 5 and 6 and track delivery of Society 2030: Spirit of Progress
- Oversees the development and deployment of the Diageo in Society strategy – in service of delivering our Society 2030 targets and deliverables, showcasing Diageo China as a leader in all core areas.
- Develop and evolve key global strategies, policies, programmes and targets for community impact – focusing on skills development, women’s empowerment, human rights and other key issues)
- Act as primary point of contact for all aspects of the Diageo in Society Agenda (including policies, programmes and tools to promote positive drinking and pioneer grain to glass sustainability)
- Ensure Diageo is recognised as trusted and respected in this area in China by stakeholders by acting as an Ambassador for our work in this area, as part of our broader work in sustainable development.
- Collaborate with Brand & Communications Team to develop, deploy, monitor and refine an integrations communications plan for Diageo in Society to engage colleagues across the business and build our reputation amongst external stakeholders
- Define and lead the overall approach and systems for non-financial reporting including the new approach to performance management for Must Do 4, 5, 6 and quarterly tracking of delivery for GMs, Regional Execs, the Global Exec and the Board
Qualifications And Experience Required
- Educated to Graduate level
- At least 5 years’ experience in a Sustainability, Corporate Responsibility or CSR role in a multinational, large organisation or agency.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and strength in building relationships and managing programmes
- Demonstrated ability to influence senior leadership (up to Exec Level)
- Strong understanding of and passion for sustainable development issues (especially issues of inequality/social mobility, skills development, women’s empowerment, human rights, smallholder farmer support and community building)
- Preferable to have experience in non-financial reporting and trends across Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) matters
Please visit Diageo’s LinkedIn page.