If you believe the world needs a healthier, plant-based food system then Califia Farms is the place for you. Join our mission to innovate delicious plant-powered foods that make going dairy-free desirable.
The Senior Sustainability Manager leads the implementation of Califia Farms’ environmental and social impact strategy. The role works closely with internal and external stakeholders to drive continuous improvement in Califia’s sustainability performance in alignment with overall company objectives. As a leader and cross-functional project manager, the role requires a deep understanding of current sustainability challenges and opportunities in the consumer packaged, food and beverage space, as well as a keen ability to achieve through collaboration in a fast paced, mission-driven, global corporate environment.
The role is responsible for supporting Califia’s objective to embed sustainability considerations across the company and within the communities we serve and will manage life-cycle analyses (LCA), measure Califia’s impact in accordance with relevant reporting frameworks and lead content development for the company’s annual Sustainability & Citizenship Report.
- Contribute to strategy development and manage and communicate progress on Califia’s sustainability initiatives with adherence to best industry practices, and relevant reporting standards and frameworks
- Own reporting on and monitoring of Califia’s sustainability metrics using data and insights from evolving ESG standards to evaluate Califia’s ongoing performance against internal and industry benchmarks
- Participate in long-term planning and establishment of initiatives to achieve excellence in sustainability and provide insight for environmental and social safeguarding, due diligence and risk assessment
- Support and manage sustainable supply chain initiatives including packaging improvements, resource efficiency in manufacturing and developing sourcing standards.
- Provide up-to-date sustainability content and claims for customer care and social teams as well as for the website, annual Sustainability & Citizenship * * Report and other communications products as needed
- Manage relationships with certification agencies (How2Recyle, Rainforest Alliance, RECs, etc.), sustainability platforms (UN Global Compact, GRI, etc.) and consultants (packaging, emissions, etc.)
- Collaborate with Communications and People teams on enviro- and social-impact activations, employee education and engagement (webinars, speakers, intranet, etc.), and community partnerships as needed
- Serve as a subject matter expert and effective company advocate for sustainability
- Develop and manage the department’s sustainability line-item in the budget
- 6-10 years’ experience working in sustainability (ESG) within a consumer products company, preferably in the food and beverage space or as an ESG consultant in food and beverage industry
- MA/MS in Environmental/Materials Science, Business or related field is preferred
- Proven track record of improving and communicating a brand’s social and environmental impact with strong familiarity of reporting frameworks, platforms and networks
- Excellent written/oral, time management, and quantitative/analytical skills
- Independent and highly motivated leader and creative problem solver, experienced in building a persuasive case and shepherding important initiatives through an organization to get things done
- terdisciplinary and flexible partner who can execute across diverse content areas and company divisions including manufacturing, supply chain, product, marketing (e.g., labeling), regulatory and legal
- Authentic passion for Califia’s mission and a true desire to help advance more resilient, sustainable food systems through a plant-based lifestyle
- Strong proficiency with MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint. Additional software skills are a plus (Salesforce, etc.)
The Company is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.