The Senior Manager, Sustainability assists J. Crew CSR department in the execution of the company’s sustainability and dignity/social justice strategic plans and initiatives. This role will manage the development, planning, delivery and tracking of J. Crew’s responsible retail strategies and commitments, ensuring that all of our products, supply chain, and operations contribute to a healthy environment.
Raw Materials/Product Sustainability
- Execute sustainable raw material strategy in collaboration with multiple internal functions including Design, Sourcing, Production, Merchandising, Packaging, Logistics, and Marketing.
- Work closely with design, raw materials and sourcing to ensure a steady development stream of product supporting the CSR & Sustainability departmental strategy.
- Central coordination and maintenance of internal sustainability programs and initiatives at each business unit, ensuring tracking of each division’s sustainability goals in line with the broader sustainability strategy.
- Contribute to create sustainability literacy across all levels and functions and contribute to address any internal requests about raw materials and product sustainability attributes, facilitating internal communication about preferred fibers and material classification.
- Track, monitor and report on all initiatives including, but not limited to, environmentally preferred materials uptake and progress, programs for textile mills, dye houses, tanneries, factories, and garment wash facilities, sustainable product assortment and sales (together with merchants).
- Collaborate with the CSR Labor Audit function to ensure our factories are adhering to relevant legal and industry requirements as well as J.Crew policies
Verification, Integrity, Policies & Reporting
- Work with business leads and vendors to support the integrity of sustainable product claims by providing verification documents, standards and utilizing key certifications to ensure monitoring and best practices are in place with suppliers.
- Implement and manage the Sustainable Apparel Coalition’s Higg Index suite of tools, including incorporation of vendors environmental and social sustainability measurement through the adoption of the Higg Facility Environment (FEM) Index; measurement of the environmental sustainability impacts of materials by implementing the Higg Materials Sustainability (MSI) Index; and measurement of the environmental and social impacts of our operations through the Higg Brand & Retail Module.
- Set business units’ sustainability targets, lead verification work and analyze data for reporting to supply chain partners and to inform business leads.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in business management, environmental or social science or sustainability. An advanced degree in a related field preferred.
- 8+ years previous related work experience in sustainability/corporate social responsibility in the apparel industry.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to foster and maintain collaborative relationships with external business partners and with overseas teams.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Ability to think quickly, produce deliverables in a timely manner, respond to changing demands, anticipate future problems, and recommend preventive courses of action.
- Knowledge of supply chain sustainability/CSR in the apparel sector.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to present to senior executives.
- Highest level of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Demonstrated skill in bringing others together with diverse and sometimes conflicting ideas, approaches and points of view, and collaborating to reach appropriate decisions and solutions.
- Ability to influence key members of the organization; a true team player with the capability to work across different stakeholder groups and hierarchies.
- Strong Excel savvy for creating models and data-driven dashboards, including data visualization, as well as Power Point knowledge for effective presentations.
J.Crew Group, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability or any other basis protected under applicable law.