Now more than ever, global businesses like ours must do more to ensure that work empowers people. Our success in growing the business while delivering positive impacts for people and planet depends on high performing suppliers and supply chains.
That’s where you come in.
Mars is hiring a Senior Manager, Supplier Sustainability to lead the strategy of our tier-one supplier sustainability compliance & performance program. This work is focused on advancing respect for human rights in Tier 1 factories - through new ways of collaboration, skill building and engagement. It is a business-critical role, essential to our global Sustainable in a Generation Plan commitments, our Purpose and the expectations of customers, consumers, and key stakeholders around the world.
The Senior Manager will lead our Tier 1 supplier program - Next Generation Supplier - as well as portions of our approach to addressing human rights risks at the origin of key raw materials. These programs are all about generating deep insights on the sustainability performance of key suppliers, coupled with longer-term expert collaboration and coaching to improve supplier management systems and workplace conditions.
As a sustainability & business and human rights expert, the Senior Manager will be accountable for ensuring continued robust technical design of the Tier 1 supplier program, streamlining how it is deployed by Commercial colleagues across the business, and evolving processes to track & measure its impact. Additionally, this leader will be responsible for strong external & internal visibility of this work. The Senior Manager will have outstanding skills in influencing, collaboration and communication.
What we’re looking for:
- Relevant undergraduate degree; ideally masters in relevant field.
- 10+ years of experience in similar role within business.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to and passion for advancing human rights in global supply chains, with direct experience advising on program development, deployment and measurement.
- Experience dealing with and understanding supplier’s and buyer’s perspectives in Commercial context.
- Ability to influence others, at all levels, without direct authority.
- Highly effective collaborator and networker - able to build and manage complex relationships internally and externally.
- Interpersonal skills and experience engaging with businesses, civil society groups and governments on long-term solutions to human rights challenges.
- Familiarity with the global sustainability agenda and salient human rights issues across our industries.
- Demonstrates ability to design new approaches to complex problems.
- Outstanding communication skills with ability to represent Mars to a wide range of external audiences.
What you’ll be doing:
Strategy and governance associated with Next Generation Supplier is designed, benchmarked and evolved by the person in this role, in close collaboration with Legal and Commercial teams.
Programs designed and deployed with suppliers are robust, comprehensive and best-practice approaches to enable people to thrive by driving meaningful improvements in their lives. They are time-bound with specific investments in stepped-up performance and continuous improvement of management systems and social conditions in workplaces.
This role works closely with Commercial and Sustainability colleagues in each segment to shape program design briefs, implementation plans, third party expert recruitment, training and engagement, and annual reviews.
Scope is across the Tier 1 supplier workplaces of top 10 raw materials (rice, fish, beef, soy, palm oil, pulp & paper, cocoa, mint, dairy and sugar cane) & other strategic suppliers.
Work closely with other members of Thriving People leadership team and segment colleagues to align metrics and reporting to coincide with relevant internal and external timeframes.
Manage outside vendors efficiently and effectively to deliver program impact.
- Oversee the strategic development and continuous improvement of the Next Generation Supplier program - our approach to responsible sourcing and advancing respect for rights across supplier workplaces in prioritized supply chains.
- Ensure that the programs are robust, credible and impactful in driving improved management systems & social & economic conditions for workers.
- Serve as in-house expert, advisor and coach to teams in Mars Wrigley, Mars Petcare and Mars Food as they deploy Next Generation Supplier programs.
- Drive synergies with and support parts of our work on human rights at origin of key raw materials, where relevant.
- Recruit and train third party experts to deploy critical elements of our work with Tier 1 suppliers. Lead expert community of practice to share learnings, challenges and progress.
- Develop and manage digital processes to collect program data; create and manage dashboard of key performance indicators; track suppliers activated, scored and engaged.
- Manage strategic relationships with relevant service providers, suppliers and Commercial (procurement) leadership.
- Develop internal communication, training and capability building to create widespread awareness, champions and support for program goals, progress and impacts.
- This role works closely with the Commercial Partner, Supplier Sustainability to ensure coordination with Commercial systems and processes.
What to Expect from Mars:
- The opportunity to learn, develop and take charge of your own career.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package.
- To be respected and valued.
- The Five Principles at the center of every decision
- The opportunity to work cross functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to come.
Please visit the Mars careers website.