- Join an encouraging leadership group, committed to your growth and development
- Key function in crafting and driving global Communities and social performance (CSP) initiatives and strategies
- Exposure to a global organization working across multiple product groups – based in Reading, UK
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Principal Advisor—CSP to provide necessary and specific advice in a Communities & Social Performance discipline across a regional level, and support RTX field teams and exploration projects with technical expertise, implementation and delivery of key initiatives, systems and training.
This role is a great opportunity for a CSP expert to support the establishment and execution of CSP initiatives in support of Rio Tinto Exploration.
Working and reporting to the General Manager Global CSP within the Communities and Social Performance Area of Expertise you will:
- Assist RTX with achieving land access, developing and meeting CSP targets, and implementing Rio Tinto CSP standards at exploration projects across various countries and geographies
- Work with RTX’s Chief Advisor for CSP, the Exploration Director, and project managers to develop risk management approaches, strategies, and plans to address CSP issues as part of business priorities
- Ensure that RTX maintains a favourable relationship with the community and external stakeholders, particularly related to the area of technical expertise.
- Contribute to and supports Communities & Social Performance initiatives, liaising with senior leaders across both Communities & Social Performance and the Product Group or Business Unit; promote best practice, and leverage innovative ideas.
- Provide professional expertise and advice, guidance or support on significant business cases/deals and/or technical Communities & Social Performance related activities.
- Advise RTX about how to represent the organization at community gatherings, and/or at technical/professional forums.
- Contribute to development of company policy and standards in the wider Communities & Social Performance team or Stakeholder Engagement function, leading on decisions related to communities.
- Train, coach, and guide Exploration Managers, project managers, and field teams to improve CSP performance and ensure that priority projects are received * CSP Assistance (Finland, Kazakhstan, Zambia, new country entries and projects)
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Tertiary qualifications in related discipline
- Progressive experience in CSP, with direct operational and/or field experience and rising into a regional or global function.
- Demonstrated expertise in communities and social performance, including diverse and complex cultural and community challenges
- Demonstrated experience in crafting and delivering strategies, and ability to drive technical excellence in CSP in regional and asset teams
- Demonstrated international experience
- Experience working in the mining & metals / extractive sectors, will be an asset.
- Languages skills: English. Other languages will be highly regarded.
- Strategic thinking
- Multi-jurisdictional experience
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience
- Annual cash incentive awards for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access top tier family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Wellbeing benefits
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matters
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental, etc)
Where you’ll be working
Rio Tinto’s Exploration group seeks to create value for the business by discovering or acquiring new mineral resources. Organized into four regional teams (Americas, Australasia, Africa-Europe and Eurasia), the Exploration group provides both a global reach and a local presence across a range of commodities including bauxite, copper, iron ore, nickel and uranium.
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers –generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress. Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium –the world’s first to be certified “responsible” –helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome –they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Please visit the Rio Tinto careers website. Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.