The Brittingham Social Enterprise Lab (BSEL) is a Center of Excellence at the USC Marshall School of Business that equips students, faculty and staff with business skills and resources to develop market-based solutions to the wicked problems of the 21st century. Through education, community building, research and professional development, the Lab serves as the hub for social entrepreneurial efforts at the university.
Founded in 2008 and endowed in 2014 through a gift from the Brittingham Family Foundation, the Lab provides students across the university with a foundation in the context and practice of market-based approaches to social issues. Curricular offerings include an undergraduate minor, multiple courses and a MS in Social Entrepreneurship. Co-curricular programs provide focused, cohort-based support for students committed to pursuing careers in social impact. The Lab also engages in ground-breaking research while bringing in numerous leaders through its Jacobson Family Sustainable Impact Lecture Series.
Reporting to, and partnering with, the Founding Director, the Managing Director will be responsible for implementing existing and new programs, managing the team, participating in fundraising, and representing the Lab and its work inside and outside of the University. As the Lab is looking to grow its programs over the next few years, the Managing Director will have a major role in the design and execution of expansion. We are looking for a growth oriented, experienced manager with direct experience in the intersection of social impact and business.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage team delivering existing student programming, communications, office management and student interns
- In partnership with the founding director, identify long- and short-term strategy for the Lab; develop and execute initiatives and approaches that meet these goals
- Participate in donor development and identify emerging fundraising opportunities
- Oversee budget and grant reporting
- Present on social impact and business in USC classes and in the greater LA and national community
- Meet with community members seeking information about the Lab
- Oversee all communications, including social media and website
- Develop programs and partnerships in and outside of USC
- Onboard new employees
- Ten years of experience in the field of market-based solutions to social issues, social entrepreneurship or CSR with a minimum of seven years senior-level experience
- Experience in building and managing teams
- Experience in developing and executing multiple projects and programs
- Experience interacting and communicating with high-level professionals and donors
- Experience in identifying and applying for grant funding
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- University experience is a plus
Required Documents and Additional Information
- Resume and cover letter required (may be uploaded as one file). Please do not submit your application without these documents.
- Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended, so please apply on the same business day if interested.
- USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions*; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events.
- This position is based in Los Angeles, with partial remote work scheduling possible.
- The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
University employer contributions may be subject to change due to financial impact of COVID-19
Why join the USC Marshall School of Business?
The USC Marshall School of Business is ideally positioned to address the challenges of a rapidly changing business environment and is ranked as one of the country’s top schools for accounting, finance, marketing, consulting, entrepreneurship and international business studies.
USC Marshall builds on the unique opportunities that stem from its Los Angeles location on the Pacific Rim, its interdisciplinary and impactful research, the momentum generated by the University of Southern California, and the unparalleled engagement of the Trojan Alumni Family. With ready access to industries defining the new business frontier, including bio-technology, life sciences, media, entertainment, communications and healthcare, this vast network offers USC Marshall graduates exceptionally strong support for success in the global marketplace.
For more information on the USC Marshall School of Business, visit: www.marshall.usc.edu.
- Minimum Education: Master’s degree; Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
- Minimum Experience: 7 years; Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
- Minimum Field of Expertise: Seven years’ directly related professional experience in program specialization. Excellent verbal communication skills and writing skills. Ability to analyze information and problemsolve. Demonstrable program administration experience. Ability to develop and maintain budgets. * Strong experience with staff development. Flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities. Strong project management experience. Proficient technology skills. Demonstrated experience interacting with diverse groups, exercising diplomacy, good judgment and discretion.
Please visit the USC careers website.