Tiffany & Co.’s Sustainability team sets and oversees the sustainability strategy for the organization. The team acts as a Center of Excellence that tracks emerging issues, provides input and guidance to key internal functions, and sparks new commitments or initiatives to drive the company’s leadership position in Sustainability. In addition, the team directly executes key areas such as climate, human rights, and philanthropy. The team also acts as a conduit and point of contact for engagement on Sustainability with key external stakeholders including investors and NGOs.
The Manager, Social Impact and Philanthropy works with the Director, Sustainability & Philanthropy to design, execute, and oversee the Sustainability team’s social impact and foundation grantmaking strategies and support Tiffany & Co.’s overall philanthropic efforts, including communications around those initiatives. This role will ensure the alignment between sustainability strategy, corporate strategy, marketing and cause initiatives.
The Manager oversees the Tiffany & Co. Foundation’s $5 million grantmaking program, new initiatives in grantmaking in the foundation’s program areas, as well as provides strategic oversight for its grantmaking portfolio. The Manager works with the Director and CSO to direct Tiffany’s community investments and support Tiffany & Co.’s philanthropic initiatives, including cause marketing efforts and employee volunteerism. In this capacity, the Manager works to develop, promote and execute the company’s philanthropic programs, aligned with Tiffany & Co.’s global sustainability commitments.
The Manager will ensure alignment in the portfolio of Tiffany’s philanthropy, including Foundation grants, the collective impact strategic investments, product donations and volunteerism. This person will serve as a key advisor and resource to meet the needs of the business as it relates to philanthropic initiatives and partnerships. This position will work closely with cross-functional business partners, and work in close collaboration with our small but high performing existing team.
- Oversee Foundation grantmaking strategy including the development of new grant opportunities and managing the Foundation’s existing portfolio of grants.
- Oversee all stages of grantmaking including solicitation, due diligence and evaluation of funding proposals.
- Research and propose new opportunities for Foundation grants based on experience with and knowledge of 501(c)3 organizations and philanthropic and sustainability sector.
- Serve as the point of contact for various external constituencies (i.e. responding to inquiries and requests for information on the Foundation, meeting with prospective grantees). Cultivate and maintain relationships with key external stakeholders to develop and generate new grant opportunities and programs for the Foundation.
- Identify opportunities to streamline grantmaking process for maximum efficiency.
- Manage production of Foundation board materials (including dockets, interim briefing and site visits).
- Manage GIFTS Online and maintain organized electronic and hard copy files.
Tiffany’s Social Impact Initiatives
- Work with the Director and team to set strategic direction and oversee program implementation across the business.
- Develop the business case on social impact to provide vision, direction and knowledge sharing regarding the development, implementation and execution of short- and long-term philanthropic and development plans, procedures and policies.
- Oversee pilot projects and social impact programs with a connection to our core business and supply chain. This is including, but not limited to building programs, identifying partners, liaising with internal departments and external stakeholders to execute and measure success.
Partnerships and Collaboration
- Provide thought leadership and holistic perspective around strategy development and implementation of all corporate philanthropy programs, assisting in unifying, multiplying and amplifying the work across the business.
- Work in close collaboration with key internal business leads, including HR, PR, Employee Relations, and Community Affairs.
- Serve as internal point of contact on all questions related to Tiffany & Co. social impact and philanthropic strategies
- Partner with employee engagement to create and implement a plan that successfully connects employees with programs, including helping to identify volunteer programs and other engagement opportunities.
- Serve as the point of contact for various external constituencies (i.e. evaluating and responding to partnership and funding requests).
- Advise leaders across the company on charitable giving and positive community involvement strategies, including cause marketing programs
- Manage partnerships with nonprofit organizations
- Promote sharing of lessons learned across the company and partner on implementation
- Maintain knowledge of leading practices in social impact, philanthropy and corporate giving.
- Help coordinate communications on content development to highlight social impact stories through our internal and external channels
- Writing impact and recap stories (and collaboration with counterparts for their stories)
- Working in partnership with marketing, PR, and internal comms to outline overall schedule and recommend overall topics, cadence, etc. for philanthropic storytelling
- Create dynamic, exciting content for program marketing campaigns, internal communications, presentations and case studies
- Develop, write and produce detailed communications and presentations to senior internal and external audiences (i.e. Tiffany senior management, board of directors, presidents and directors of external organizations), some of which are published externally.
- Partner with Tiffany’s marketing teams to execute associated marketing initiatives and campaigns that leverage philanthropic initiatives
Due Diligence and Impact Measurement
- Ensure that all materials meet legal, auditing, IRS, and Foundation requirements.
- Maintain oversight of legal, compliance and finance matters for Foundation grantmaking, such as overseeing grantmaking due diligence, reviewing financial statements, and liaising with key internal departments, such as Finance and Legal.
- Provide high-level strategic input and guidance on the development and implementation of the company giving guidelines, including advising on policy and process the for company’s charitable contributions globally.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of partners and programs, including site visits where needed.
- Perform due diligence on corporate giving efforts
- Support the performance measurement of Tiffany & Co.’s social impact and philanthropic endeavors
- Ensure accurate reporting and communication of all global charitable activities.
Required Qualifications/Primary Job Requirements:
- Minimum 8 years of experience working in the philanthropic or corporate/nonprofit partnership field.
- Undergraduate degree
- Strong and detailed knowledge of the nonprofit sector, corporate philanthropy and sustainability
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, interpersonal and presentation skills and proven ability to successfully work in a matrix, decentralized organization
- Exceptional writing skills
- Must possess strong attention to detail and ability to coordinate multiple assignments simultaneously while prioritizing workflow effectively and independently
- Exhibit strong time management, planning and organizational skills, be flexible to changes in deadlines and work focus, and be highly self-motivated
- Ability to communicate effectively within a corporate structure and across business units; articulate and confident presence.
- Must possess the ability to distill substantial and complex data or information from multiple sources into key insights and relevant takeaways for lay audiences.
- Demonstrated experience liaising with diverse stakeholders, through formal or informal channels.
- Ability to interact with senior level figures
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and analytically.
- Takes initiative
- Team player
- Proven ability to see the big picture, create strategy and set new direction
- Strong project management and cross-functional navigation skills to achieve results
- Experience leading cross-functional task forces and collaborating with creative teams
- Experience with corporate/nonprofit partnerships and collaboration
- Experience working with global organizations and bringing work to a local context
- Microsoft Office skills are critical; proficient in Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint
Preferred Qualifications/Primary Job Requirements:
- Graduate degree in related field
- Travel experience including site visits, audits and/or consulting work abroad.
- Knowledge of GIFTS Online a plus
- Knowledge of nonprofit accounting a plus