Ralph Lauren Corporation (NYSE:RL) is a global leader in the design, marketing and distribution of premium lifestyle products in five categories: apparel, accessories, home, fragrances, and hospitality. For more than 50 years, Ralph Lauren’s reputation and distinctive image have been consistently developed across an expanding number of products, brands and international markets. The Company’s brand names, which include Ralph Lauren, Ralph Lauren Collection, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Polo Ralph Lauren, Double RL, Lauren Ralph Lauren, Polo Ralph Lauren Children, Chaps, and Club Monaco, among others, constitute one of the world’s most widely recognized families of consumer brands.
At Ralph Lauren, we unite and inspire the communities within our company as well as those in which we serve by amplifying voices and perspectives to create a culture of belonging, ensuring inclusion, and fairness for all. We foster a culture of inclusion through: Talent, Education & Communication, Employee Groups and Celebration.
This role reports to the Sr. Director, Supply Chain Development, with an indirect report to the VP of Sustainability and is responsible for developing and guiding the execution of strategies and solutions that will drive progress towards our waste, packaging, and carbon reduction goals across all RL distribution centers and logistics operations, globally.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Partner with the Corporate sustainability team and Global Logistics team to develop, implement and progress our carbon reduction, waste management, and sustainable packaging goals related to the Global Logistics Network of:
- By 2023, we will achieve zero waste to landfill across our distribution centers
- By 2025, 100 percent of our packaging material will be recyclable, reusable or sustainable sourced
- Thirty percent reduction in absolute Scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions by 2030 compared to a FY20 baseline.
- Key activities to deliver on the goals above include: Analyze areas for improvement and opportunities for a strong ROI relating to transportation/logistics, waste and packaging; develop systems and implement prioritized initiatives to deliver on waste management and sustainable packaging goals.
- Drive and set waste reduction priorities in partnership with the business and ensure implementation of global waste reduction strategies across RL’s Global Distribution Centers and 3PL/Transport network and collaborate across industry to identify innovative solutions for zero waste goals.
- Set and refine sustainability criteria for packaging items and collaborate with teams in the business and peers in the industry to identify and source sustainable packaging alternatives from vendors.
- Create internal support and buy-in to drive execution of plans and initiatives, in collaboration with key internal functions.
- Prepare presentations for and engage with leadership and key internal functions to build buy-in.
- Engage with and represent RL in key multi-stakeholder initiatives (i.e. Fashion Pact, UN Fashion Pact) to support our overarching waste, packaging, and climate strategy and attend conferences/events on these topics.
- Support RL’s internal Sustainable Packaging and Waste Management Working Groups as a subject matter expert and resource/connector to external stakeholders and best practices.
- Work in close collaboration with the Sustainability Team and key internal functions such as Real Estate, Finance, Retail, Manufacturing, Environment, Sourcing, Procurement, Finance and Legal.
Experience, Skills & Knowledge
- Experience with progressively increasing responsibilities related to Supply Chain and/or Sustainability goals
- Proven ability to assess potential environmental impacts of materials, packaging, and waste management options and communicate tradeoffs
- Experience finding sustainable alternatives for packaging and diverse waste streams while accounting for environmental, cost, and practical considerations
- Basic understanding of greenhouse gas accounting/carbon footprinting
- Basic understanding of life-cycle assessment
- Preference for experience working with a consumer goods company
- Preference for experience working on packaging and waste in the context of a logistics facility/distribution center
- Preference for experience working to achieve TRUE Zero Waste certification or similar waste/packaging certifications
- Proven ability to develop business cases, model impacts, including financial implications, and build buy-in and environmental competency
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, can synthesize information and offer recommendations/solutions
- Well-developed interpersonal skills for interaction with leadership and key internal functions
- Takes initiative and demonstrates ownership, works independently
- Excellent communication, presentation and facilitation skills