Local and remote candidates will be considered.
The Manager, Research and Learning for the Impact, Research and Learning (IRL) team will play a critical role in Fair Trade USA’s work to define, measure, and communicate impact. The position will be a strong project manager in multiple workstreams:
A) Alongside the Director of Impact, Research and Learning (IRL), project managing external research deliverables including supporting the design and development of external research evaluations and contributing to the methodology and focus of the research.
B) Alongside the Senior Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation, developing and implementing the IRL team’s learning loop that will facilitate internal and external learnings from the research and org-wide impact overall.
C) Supporting and working with the Director IRL and other teams such as the Development Team (Philanthropic), Business Development Team, and Producer Services Teams to create and implement the research priorities agenda for the organization considering the overall impact needs and narrative for Fair Trade USA.
The ideal candidate for the role will be a strong project manager and have a robust and holistic understanding of both quantitative and qualitative methodologies such that they can make informed decisions on research design decisions (including RCTs, quasi-experimental methods, and qualitative methods particularly those used in international development research), some statistical analysis skills or understanding of statistical reporting, and data visualization and presentation skills.
The candidate needs to have a proven understanding of research programs, program evaluations, and data analysis preferably in a global and developing country context. They will be a strategic thinker who can proactively identify how to strategically develop a research agenda, and project manage multiple research partnerships.
Ideally, the Manager, Research and Learning will be a skilled facilitator who can support the design and implementation of a teaching and learning agenda for external research to the organization as well as other external audiences and stakeholders. They will work closely with the Manager, Impact Data and Analysis and the Senior Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation as well as other teams throughout the organization.
Among Fair Trade USA’s core values are fairness, community, and personal development. Fair Trade USA is committed to inclusive and equitable hiring practices and offers a generous benefits package, including flexible scheduling and a retirement savings match plan.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Project Manage External Research Projects
- Support the Director IRL to develop and implement relationships alongside the Strategic Partnerships Director with strong academic research institutions in order to create a repository of impact research
- Work with the Director of IRL and the research partners to select most appropriate methodologies in order to understand outcomes and impacts of the Fair Trade model
- Project manage multiple research projects, likely within the research spheres of econometric modeling, supply chain pricing, international development program implementation, worker well-being, social protection outcomes, and voluntary sustainability standards outcomes among other broad topics related to Fair Trade USA.
- Coordinate with other team members on needs and deliverables to ensure projects fulfill the requirements set forward by the contracts and meets the needs of the organization as a whole.
Develop and Implement the Fair Trade USA Learning Loop
- Work closely with Senior Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation to design, develop, and implement a system of learnings for the Impact team including a regular format for learnings presentations, and creative ways in which to inform and teach the organization the results of research
- Work closely with the Senior Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation and the Manager, Impact Data and Analysis to inform the organization of learnings and knowledge from the Impact Data collected and analyzed by the impact team
- Deliver results and insights internally and externally as needed accommodating the research and learnings to appropriate audiences and preparing presentations accordingly
- Work with the IRL team to Incorporate learnings from deep dive research projects and organization-level analyses into the overall Impact Management framework
Support the Evolution of the Impact Management System:
- Support the on-going evolution of Fair Trade USA’s Impact Management System, from the Theory of Change and results chains to identification of indicators and data collection strategies and, in particular, the learning loop.
- In close collaboration with the Director IRL, work to develop and integrate data systems and reporting infrastructures related to the causal pathways of the Theory of Change.
Organizational Leadership, and Planning
- Support the Director IRL on strategy, operational plans, and budgets for the Impact team as needed.
- Approximately 15% of workstream will be dedicated to the Development (philanthropic) and Business Development Teams to develop a research trajectory that meets business and fundraising needs, as well as for funding future research opportunities.
- Collaborate and communicate clearly with teams across the organization, including supporting opportunities for collaboration
- Build and manage relationships with research and learning experts and peer organizations
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Strong project management skills, ability to manage deliverables for multiple projects happening simultaneously, and communicate progress to relevant stakeholders
- Four to six years of relevant experience in research management, research design and implementation, work as a primary investigator preferred, with experience in quantitative as well as qualitative data research and analysis particularly in international development contexts.
- Master’s degree or PhD in a related field such as International Development, Public Health, Economics/Development Economics, or Research Management
- High degree of proficiency in all standard software programs including MS Office applications including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and relevant internet applications. Preferred knowledge of either Quantitative (SPSS/STATA/R) or Qualitative (NVivo, MAXQDA, Dedoose) Analysis applications.
- Strong research design, analytical, evaluation and methodological skills (i.e., economics, statistics, M&E)
- Ability to synthesize and present complex data in a simple, meaningful way, particularly using visual tools and creating presentations, and reports.
- Experience collaborating and communicating effectively and respectfully with diverse professionals and cultures, with excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a flexible, yet fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment, able to meet deadlines and share progress regularly via key performance indicators.
- Very detail oriented
- Fluent English required, foreign language proficiency is a plus
- Familiarity with social and environmental certifications is a plus
- Experience living and/or working in developing regions is a plus
- A passion for Fair Trade USA’s mission, vision, and accomplishments
- Strong work ethic, and likes to have fun on the job
- Solve problems creatively, being judicious of time and resources