Do you want a career and not just a job? Are you ready to make a difference and not just make a living? Do you desire to have an impact on the future of talent in a world-class organization? Is it time take the dive into your next great adventure? If so, apply now as your first step towards joining one of the most dynamic and innovative teams in the business today.
McDonald’s Corporation is the world’s leading global foodservice retailer with over 36,000 locations in over 100 countries. Our U.S. business includes:
- Home office headquarters located in Chicago, IL
- Ten field offices located across the country, supporting our employees, brand and more than 14,000 restaurants ran by McDonald’s and our franchisees
At McDonald’s, It’s Our Mission To Offer Dynamic Careers For a Variety Of Business Functions Around The World Including, But Not Limited To Positions Working In
- Human Resources
- Learning & Development
- Consumer Business Insights
We believe that a career here is an opportunity for you to be the best at what you’re passionate about, in a supportive, inclusive environment where you are valued and respected. We are dedicated to building a committed workplace that rewards and recognizes you for your loyal contribution, and supporting you by offering growth and advancement opportunities. We believe the best people in the world work right here.
Sustainability Public Affairs Manager
McDonald’s is more than the world’s largest chain of quick service restaurants, serving millions of customers in over 100 countries daily. Under the leadership of CEO, Steve Easterbrook, and his executive team, our purpose goes beyond what we sell. We’re using our scale and reach to be a positive force around the world.
We’re looking for a Manager to join the International Public Affairs team (part of the Corporate Relations function), led by Global Chief Communications Officer Robert Gibbs. In this position, you will support strategic external and internal engagement, with a broad range of partners, to proactively and reactively address regulatory and reputational issues impacting the global business, such as climate change, beef sustainability, packaging and recycling and deforestation.
You will report to the Director of International Public Affairs and will sit on the Global Policy & Engagement team (a sub-team within Corporate Relations). You will also be working closely with Corporate Relations colleagues at our corporate headquarters, in regional offices and in the 119 markets around the world where we operate.
You will be guiding corporate policy development on sustainability topics by identifying, prioritizing and leading reputational or regulatory issues, and by being a thought partner for other functions to help influence progressive business decisions and strategies. You will be handling the creation and execution of engagement strategies targeted to engage and collaborate with global stakeholders, including international governmental organizations and NGOs.
You will maintain relationships with international stakeholders to help shape external agendas that impact the business, to improve brand trust and to build external validation. In partnership with the broader Corporate Relations function, you will also lead global announcements and stakeholder engagement campaigns to support business strategies.
An important part of this international role is driving market awareness of key issues and supporting markets to handle evolving reputational and regulatory issues.
The position is based at our corporate headquarters in Chicago, Illinois.
- Principle areas of responsibility
- Develop international public affairs plans and strategies on key business issues.
- Proactively identifying, monitoring and leading regulatory or reputational issues and opportunities.
- Identifying and prioritizing key stakeholders and maintaining stakeholder relationships.
- Providing intelligence and recommendations on issues to inform and influence business decisions and strategies - acting as a thought partner to other functions.
- Executing the plan for direct external engagement with global stakeholder audiences – including Inter-Governmental Organizations (e.g. the UN), international NGOs, think tanks, trade associations, opinion influencers and relevant socially responsible investor groups.
- Developing communications strategies, plans, messaging and briefing materials to support external engagement.
- Guiding and preparing globally dispersed teams for significant business announcements.
- Providing intelligence and guidance to the markets to enhance capabilities and increase our capacity to proactively manage our stakeholder and issues landscape.
To accomplish the above, it is important that the successful candidate has 5+ years of related experience in Public Affairs/Government Relations/Public Policy/Corporate Affairs or related communications field.
The Following Experience Would Be Preferred
- Working on issues related to sourcing, sustainability and/or environmental issues
- Knowledge of project management and ability to influence in a complex environment
- Working with or at a leading international consumer brand
- Familiarity with the food, beverage and/or restaurant sector
- Working with global stakeholders including international NGOs and the United Nations