At Mars, we believe the world we want tomorrow starts with how we do business today. We are a privately-held, family-owned company seeking to advance respect for human rights, unlock opportunities for women and increase incomes across our value chain. This work is core to our Sustainable in a Generation Plan.
Millions of people work hard around the world producing raw materials and products across global supply chains. But many are living in poverty or are vulnerable to exploitation. We believe global businesses like ours must do more to ensure that work empowers people - and that’s where you come in.
The Thriving People team is hiring a Manager of Human Rights & Supplier Sustainability to deepen our approach to human rights in Tier One factories around the world, and support some of our work at the origins of prioritized raw material supply chains.
What we’re looking for:
- Relevant undergraduate degree
- 5-8 years of experience in social sustainability, business & human rights at corporate or NGO.
- Knowledge of business & human rights issues & trends, including protecting health and safety, paying fair wages, and reducing child labor and forced labor risks. Preference for experience addressing these issues in supplier workplace (factory) context.
- Ability to network, influence and utilize internal and external resources, at all levels, without direct authority.
- Proven ability to lead collaboration across diverse teams and motivate groups to meet common objectives.
- Outstanding communication skills with ability to represent Mars to a wide range of internal and external audiences
What you’ll be doing:
Advancing Respect for Human Rights:
- The Manager will play an active role in risk mapping, tracking and ongoing due diligence screening to inform where we prioritize action as a business.
- Support and guide Commercial teams as they progress work on human rights, with a focus on Tier One supplier workplaces. Potential to support on work at origin for priority raw materials, as relevant.
- Lead a range of initiatives that support our Thriving People strategy - including understanding the latest trends in certification systems & strengthening of their social dimensions, understanding how to adapt our Tier One supplier approach in specific regions or circumstances that require additional considerations, and understanding how emerging traceability tools can support our broader social sustainability focus.
Data & Capacity Building:
- Support improved management and framing of critical Thriving People data and data systems.
- The Manager has a key role in building skills and developing capabilities of Mars Associates and others across issues such as forced labor risks, child labor risks and mitigation, payment of fair wages across supply chains and approaches to advancing respect for health & safety.
What to Expect from Mars:
- The opportunity to learn, develop and take charge of your own career.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package.
- To be respected and valued.
- The Five Principles at the center of every decision
- The opportunity to work cross functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to come.
Please visit the Mars careers website.