At Mars, we believe the world we want tomorrow starts with how we do business today. We are a privately-held, family-owned company seeking to advance respect for human rights, unlock opportunities for women and increase incomes across our value chain. This work is core to our Sustainable in a Generation Plan. Millions of people work hard around the world producing raw materials and products across global supply chains. But many are living in poverty or are vulnerable to exploitation. We believe global businesses like ours must do more to ensure that work empowers people - and that’s where you come in.
The Thriving People team is hiring a Manager of Human Rights and Gender Equality to deepen our approach to human rights in extended supply chains - with a focus on child labor and forced labor risks - as well as accelerating opportunities for women to reach their full potential. The Manager supports human rights strategies at the origins of prioritized raw material supply chains and will lead the company’s reporting on human rights, aligned with growing expectations from consumers, customers and global stakeholders. Additionally, the Manager will steward Mars’ Full Potential platform for action on gender equity - working across P&O (human resources), brands, corporate affairs, and Commercial (procurement) functions.
What we’re looking for:
- Relevant undergraduate degree
- 5-8 years of experience in social sustainability, business & human rights, and gender work at corporate or NGO.
- Deep knowledge of business & human rights issues & trends, including worker wellbeing, agricultural risks, and women’s empowerment. Experience with efforts to reduce child labor and forced labor risks in global supply chains, with a focus on extended supply chains.
- Ability to influence others, at all levels, without direct authority
- Highly effective collaborator and networker - able to build and manage relationships internally and externally
- Outstanding communication skills with ability to represent Mars to a wide range of external audiences
What you’ll be doing:
This position has both a strategic and operational role:
- Strong partnership with P&O at corporate and segment levels to align and advance workplace policies and practices that advance women’s empowerment and deepen respect for human rights;
- Strong partnership with corporate affairs and brands to raise awareness about Mars’ focus on women’s empowerment and respect for human rights;
- Strong partnership with strategic sourcing in Commercial to advance supply chain programs and partnerships that empower women and advance respect for human rights in priority supply chains;
- Strategic collaboration with priority NGOs and IGOs to sharpen our programs and scale our impacts, and work with Legal and other internal functions on human rights reporting.
Unlocking Opportunities for Women:
- Work with manager, key business functions and external experts to develop practical guidance on gender strategies in Mars workplaces, sourcing communities & Tier 1 supplier workplaces, and the marketplace.
- Lead our global partnership with CARE and expand collaboration with civil society partners globally and in key regions.
- Monitor and assess trends and issues impacting women in workplaces, supply chains and marketplaces, providing guidance to business and functional leaders to help manage risks and opportunities.
- Partner across relevant business function (for example P&O, brand and corporate affairs) to advance policies, partnerships and promotions that increase Mars’ impact and reputation as a leading company helping women reach their full potential.
- Represent Mars in relevant forums focused on women’s empowerment and human rights.
Advancing Respect for Human Rights:
- Work with manager to lead global transparency Initiatives including required enterprise-wide legal disclosures such as UK and Australian Modern Slavery Acts.
- Support and guide Commercial teams as they progress work on human rights at origin for priority raw materials – advancing respect for human rights in key supply chains.
- The Manager will play an active role in responsible and sustainable sourcing, performance management and reporting, Commercial processes and priorities.
What to Expect from Mars:
- The opportunity to learn, develop and take charge of your own career.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package.
- To be respected and valued.
- The Five Principles at the center of every decision
- The opportunity to work cross functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to come.
Please visit the Mars careers website.