Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global materials science and manufacturing company specializing in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of labeling and functional materials. The company’s products, which are used in nearly every major industry, include pressure-sensitive materials for labels and graphic applications; tapes and other bonding solutions for industrial, medical and retail applications; tags, labels and embellishments for apparel; and radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions serving retail apparel and other markets. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company employs approximately 30,000 employees in more than 50 countries. Reported sales in 2017 were $6.6 billion. Learn more at www.averydennison.com.
We are seeking a candidate with deep sustainability knowledge and hands-on experience in executing sustainability strategies to work closely with the Global Senior Director in supporting the company’s strategic sustainability goals. In this role, you will work closely with the Global Senior Director to advance, elevate, align, and execute Avery Dennison’s sustainability vision and strategy globally. Partnering with global functional and regional business leaders, you will develop and execute sustainability plans across RBIS.
Sustainability Business Partnership
- Partner with Global Sr. Director to execute AD sustainability strategy
- Collaborate with the company’s internal groups (for example plant management, engineering, EHS, marketing) to develop a coordinated sustainability plan. Build sustainability principles into short and long-range business planning, capital planning and operations planning.
- Research and monitor sustainability issues, concerns, or stakeholder interests and develop strategy to address those issues.
- Work with innovation, product line managers, operations, and other key stakeholders to ensure sustainability strategy is implemented, monitored, and reported.
- Liaising with colleagues, directors and experts to gain valuable expertise from third parties
- Working with other departments, such as commercial, operations, marketing, etc. to open lines of communication about changes that will be implemented and the impact they will have on the workplace and the environment
Measurement and Reporting
- Develop cadence and process to measure the performance of the organisation’s current sustainability practices; establish a benchmark from which to improve
- Manage monitoring and reporting of corporate and brand sustainability activities.
- Initiating a course of action so that sustainability metrics are gathered and recorded over time, to measure and chart improvements
- Develop and launch sustainability scorecard
Administration and Management
- Support Global Senior Director Sustainability to develop and launch the annual strategy development/roadmap process.
- Work with Global Senior Director Sustainability on the department’s annual financial planning.
- Bachelor’s degree in Sustainability, Environmental Science, Environmental Policy, Industrial Ecology, Anthropology or related field.
- Minimum 10 years experience in the field.
- Excellent understanding of generalist sustainability concepts, including social and environmental standards (e.g. U.N. Guiding Principles on business and Human Rights, The Natural Step, Future Fit Business Benchmarks, Carbon Disclosure Project, Global Reporting Initiative, etc.)
- Additional subject matter expertise including sustainability management, reporting and transparency, inclusion and diversity, and/or supply chain.
- Strong knowledge of social and environmental trends.
- Excellent organizational and people skills, project management skills, with an ability to openly convey information to team members in a timely, concise manner.
- Strong supervisory skills; providing others with a clear direction, motivation and empowerment.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills for high-level interaction with other functions and brands.
- Excellent communication, presentation and facilitation skills, including communicating and marketing sustainable efforts.
- Highly analytical, can synthesize information and offer recommendations/solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with others.
- Strong leadership skills. Ability to lead, contribute, and influence others in a team-based organization
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with cross-functional business teams within our global network and with external parties.
- Ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships with stakeholders of multiple levels, within and outside the company.*
- Ability to travel globally up to 25% of the year.
- Willingness to learn new skills.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.