This is a hybrid role and does not require employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively.
In this position you will be a fully qualified contributor with thorough knowledge and understanding of manufacturing processes, ecosystems and data analysis as related to sustainability. You will possess broad technical knowledge, training and understanding of concepts associated with environmental, social and governance sustainability combined with creative and independent thinking and conceptual ability to accomplish corporate goals. We are currently looking for talented individuals who have a passion for the environment especially nature and who want to assist in making GM a leader in environmental, social and governance sustainability.
ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) Strategies Packaging and Nature Lead provides support to the global sustainability effort within Finance, Global Purchasing and Supply Chain, Product Engineering, Public Policy and associated teams
- Support and lead nature strategy development
- Create internal measurement method
- Interact regularly with other Environmental Engineers, Public Policy, Global Purchasing and Supply Chain, manufacturing engineers, suppliers and other Sustainable Workplaces personnel to achieve targets
- Understand submissions like Carbon Disclosure Project and EcoVadis
- Lead EcoGreen Schools Program
- Support corporate sustainable packaging goal including Packaging Material Data collection, Non-Conformance Packaging Reporting and Automotive OEM (original equipment manufacturers) Packaging Guidance
- Support evaluation and approval of collaborative partners
- Understand new materials technology and processes
- Understand calculation of greenhouse gases
- Support resolving environmental issues
- Support resolving materials-related Issues
- Troubleshoot complex problems often with incomplete information to arrive at a root cause
- Support content development for ESG Strategies website
- Interface and participate with Conservation International, National Wildlife Federation (NWF), The Nature Conversancy, Science Based Targets for Nature (SBTN), Automotive Industry Action Group (AIAG), Suppliers Partnership for the Environment (SP) and other external organizations
- Travel as required, including international
Additional Job Description
- Communicate proficiently to all levels of management including persuasive communication and storytelling
- Determining compliance, data judgement and design judgement
- Driving change management and relationship management
- Learning agility and quality orientation
- Timely and effective problem solving
- Project execution and resource management
- Dealing with ambiguity
- Connects the team to the outside world
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 3 years of experience as an energy engineer, environmental engineer, materials engineer, packaging engineer, sustainability engineer or related science degree
- Familiarity of packaging and shipping processes
- Thorough knowledge of industry recognized material standards - SAE, ASTM, ISO, etc.
- Familiarity with nature frameworks
- Strong analytical skills for data analysis, design of experiments, and problem-solving
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of basic office computer software including Excel and/or Power BI
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
- Able to manage several projects at the same time and prioritize as necessary
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with the recycle industry and sustainable materials
- Manufacturing or industry experience
- Completion of Design for Six Sigma certification
- Design Thinking Coach
- Preferred knowledge of biomimicry
- Familiarity of the vehicle design process is preferred
- Basic knowledge of the automotive recycling process is preferred
- Membership or participation in Conservation International, Ducks Unlimited, Ellen MacArthur Foundation, National Wildlife Federation, The Nature Conservancy, Wildlife Habitat Council
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.