Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target Merchandising is evolving at an incredible pace. We are constantly reimagining how this $70 billion retailer offers the innovative, guest-inspiring items that Target is known and loved for. Our goal is to deliver exceptional value, quality and style to elevate Target as the premier retailer in a competitive global marketplace. Through intelligent and progressive business strategies that make the most of Target’s resources and partnerships worldwide, Merchandising works across product categories to create a localized shopping experience online and in our 1800 stores. Are you a creative problem solver who loves to see your work translate into real results? Can you collaborate effectively, execute a plan efficiently and positively influence how Target chooses and presents the right product in the right place at the right price? If so, you will have success on one of our dynamic teams.
A role in Sourcing means having a hand in developing products that have a positive impact on people and the planet. We integrate our sourcing capabilities with our propensity for quality and social responsibility to positively impact the cost and quality of our products. We care about the lives of the people who make the products Target guests love, and we’re mindful of the impact our manufacturing practices have on the environment. In Sourcing, you’ll apply your apparel and accessories and/or home goods expertise to promote and apply responsible sourcing practices while driving the success and growth of Target’s owned brands. The Sourcing team starts at the very earliest stages of product development, builds out the costing models and tracks where product stands at every step in the production cycle, from overseas shipping to our import warehouses, distribution centers and stores. And since Target is indeed a global company, you’ll be part of the team that manages global relationships in partnership with the buying team who shop for trends all over the world. Your ability to stay aware of our suppliers’ activities will help ensure compliance with responsible practices, and you’ll have influence over which manufacturers Target chooses to work with. You’ll be a close point-of-contact with Target team members in sourcing offices located in 20 countries around the globe, and you’ll support their work as liaisons among buyers, product developers and overseas partners.
As a Director of Traceability, you will drive the strategy and develop programs that address opportunities that will establish Target as an industry leader that goes beyond compliance to address key challenges relating to transparency and traceability. You will lead the team that is responsible for defining and activating Target’s location disclosure policy within the enterprise and building product traceability programs. You will work closely with policy and governance, oversight and remediation as well as the business integration and capability building teams to elevate and influence the business partner matrix. You will build critical working partnerships across the industry and enterprise in order to enable cross-functional collaboration identify business interdependencies and needs to influence business strategies to accelerate positive impact for people across the globe, enable sustainable business growth, be a catalyst for change and inspire others to do more.
- Develop a strategic roadmap that differentiates and places Target as an industry leader on transparency and traceability issues across all product categories
- Establish and implement robust monitoring, impact and evaluation protocols
- Develop and deploy traceability programs across key commodities that meet Target’s sustainability commitments and regulatory requirements
- Advocate and influence external multi-stakeholder initiatives in alignment with Target’s Responsible Sourcing & Sustainability strategic priorities
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflict and deal with high stress environments
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with senior leadership
- Ability to build strong relationships with internal and external partners and formulate cohesive plans and processes across diverse business groups
- Draw upon existing external network to deliver results
- Robust understanding of manufacturing across general merchandise and food
- Drive initiatives and results that meet Owned Brand and enterprise goals across all product categories within the purview of Responsible Sourcing & Sustainability.
- Set the 1-3-year goals and strategic plan to advance Responsible Sourcing initiatives that go beyond compliance in both the social and environmental domain.
- Set challenging goals & objectives, identify metrics, measures progress, and deliver results.
- Provide proactive holistic traceability and transparency insights to the organization to drive systemic change and continuous improvement.
- Leverage data, analytics and reporting to provide guidance to support business decisions and inform purchasing practices.
- Build coalitions and drive scalable initiatives in collaboration with others.
- Build strategic and meaningful networks of relationships with external organizations including other brands, NGOs, consultants and international organizations to position Target as an informed industry leader and progressive force for good.
- Be a catalyst for change and inspire others to do more both internally and externally.
- Build a diverse and talented team and be an inclusive leader.
- Create a team culture that everyone wants to be a part of fueled by optimism, inclusivity and a drive to win.
- Provide coaching and feedback to team members.
- 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
- 10 + years’ experience in manufacturing, traceability, or responsible sourcing work
- Minimum 5 years in leadership capacity with similar operational scope and complexity
- Ability to communicate to all levels of management internally and to Sr. Management of business partners with diverse cultural backgrounds
- Ability to analyze information to drive business decisions, manage project plans and resources
- Strong sense of urgency
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong strategic and conceptual thinking and ability to plan, organize and execute.
- Strong leadership, performance and change management skills
- Comfortable taking risks, driving change and supporting creativity
- International and domestic travel required
- Respects, appreciates and is curious about differences related to working with others; committed to developing an inclusive team
- Flexibility, resiliency and nimbleness; comfortable working in “grey areas” that are constantly changing
The exciting part of retail? It’s always changing! Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target’s needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location. A Full-Time Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that’s not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year.
Please visit the Target careers website.