What you’ll be doing…
Verizon’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) team acts as a strategic adviser to each Verizon business unit, assisting them in implementing responsible business strategies. The team seeks a Manager to 1. Help develop responsible business practices/guidelines for all of Verizon’s core business operations and 2. Partner with business units to implement the practices/guidelines, embedding a responsible business ethic into the operational DNA of the entire business.
This is a new position that supports the CEO’s vision to strengthen Verizon’s position as a socially responsible company. The role requires a detailed knowledge of Verizon’s wireless, wireline and media businesses as well as the ability to build effective external and internal partnerships. The external partnerships will help to identify emerging societal trends, expectations of business and build stakeholder trust. The internal partnerships will help business unit colleagues implement measures that strengthen responsible business practices.
- Develop a close working relationship with all business units, gaining a thorough knowledge of their products and services as well as their operational practices.
- Act as a trusted advisor assisting Verizon business units in thoughtfully reviewing operations against Verizon’s responsible business standards and stakeholder expectations.
- Develop responsible business guidelines to improve responsible business performance and implement joint action plans with business partners to implement the strategies.
- Work with the business unit product teams to identify opportunities to apply Verizon products and services to social challenges to create new market and revenue opportunities that deliver shareholder and societal value.
- Partner with the business units to create new solution business cases that deliver revenue
- Build strategic third-party relationships to understand stakeholder expectations of Verizon and technology companies in general.
- Participate in industry associations to understand expectations for responsible business practice and learn about responsible business practices from leading companies both within and outside our industry.
- Use insight gained from stakeholder relationships and industry associations to enhance Verizon’s responsible business standards, to help the business units improve their responsible business practices and to identify new shared value solution opportunities.
- Periodically represent Verizon in strategic external forums to describe Verizon’s responsible business strategy.
- Partner with the Governance and Sustainability teams to respond to enterprise RFPs, inquiries from socially responsible investors and relevant ratings organizations (e.g. CDP), highlighting Verizon’s focus on responsible business practices and generating growth through shared value solutions.
- Work with the business units to identify process efficiencies that can reduce Verizon’s energy usage and carbon footprint.
- Direct the work of a third-party consultant that maintains an environmental measurement model for Verizon that quantifies the carbon reduction value of the operational efficiencies.
- Provide input to a corporate-wide responsible business scorecard that measures our energy usage and carbon emissions.
What we’re looking for…
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%.
Even better if you have:
- Master’s degree—more impressive if you have an MBA.
- Experience with corporate responsibility best practices and stakeholder expectations.
- Knowledge of the telecommunications industry and Verizon’s strategy and products/services.
- Building effective partnerships with third parties.
- Big picture thinker—ability to identify/understand societal trends/challenges and relate them to Verizon’s business .
- Exceptional project management, collaboration, and oral and written communication skills; proven track record of preparing materials and presenting analyses to senior management.
- A self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity and able to balance multiple projects and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to innate curiosity and a passion for the work and the desire to assist Verizon in enhancing its reputation as a socially responsible corporation.
- Resiliency to persevere in the face of adversity and the spunk to find alternative and creative ways to influence and persuade colleagues regardless of level.
- Experience in Microsoft Office applications, especially PowerPoint as well as Google Suite.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
When you join Verizon…
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees’ differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.