At Oaktree, we believe that Environmental, Social and Governance (“ESG”) considerations directly and materially impact investment outcomes. As long-term investors, we believe that a concerted and consistent focus on ESG throughout the investment lifecycle allows us to avoid undue risk and better identify valuable opportunities. Integrating ESG into our investment process helps ensure that we are aligned with our clients, their beneficiaries and our collective long-term interests. At the same time, ESG fits squarely with our commitment to excellence in bottom-up investment analysis. For more information including Oaktree’s ESG Policy, please visit our Responsible Investing website.
Oaktree’s Head of ESG seeks an Assistant Vice President or Vice President to work with Oaktree’s Head of ESG to help accelerate our sustainability journey. As part of this new group, this person would have the entrepreneurial opportunity to have a guiding hand in advancing ESG at a preeminent investment firm. This person would collaborate closely Portfolio Construction & Risk Management, Data Management, Compliance, Legal, investment teams, and externally with ESG service providers.
Selected responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Quarterback all ESG-related data initiatives at Oaktree, driving standardization and best practices across the platform
- Create standardized portfolio-level ESG reporting, including KPI tracking, and facilitate the collection of such data
- Support reporting requirements for Article 8 and 9 funds under SFDR, EU Taxonomy and other upcoming regulatory requirements
- Stay abreast of emerging standards and regulatory requirements in ESG data provision
- Evaluate the quality of third-party data ESG providers’ offerings and their suitability for Oaktree strategies
- Work with Portfolio Construction & Risk Management to advance quantitative climate measures including financed emissions, climate alignment and climate risk, particularly in preparation for TCFD reporting
- 5-7 years of relevant experience at an asset manager, investment bank or other related financial services company (including vendors) in a portfolio reporting capacity;
- Solid grasp of a broad range of investment concepts in fixed income and/or alternative investments;
- Experience managing and manipulating large amounts of data in Microsoft Excel
- Experience with SQL Databases and Reporting Software (Tableau, Power BI, SSRS)
- Experience using scripting language recommended
- Knowledge of ESG and sustainability standards, frameworks, data providers and data vendors
- Ability to work with a broad range of senior stakeholders, including investment analysts, portfolio managers and senior leadership across the firm
- Experience operating designing or improving processes; and
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal.
The successful candidate should:
- Have a strong understanding of investment analysis
- Have excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships, collaborate, garner support and work through roadblocks
- Have excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with a facility for communicating complex concepts in a concise manner
- Be a natural problem solver and self-starter who can independently propose well-informed solutions and see them to completion
- Be highly resourceful and exercise superior judgment in addressing requests: to interpret them, ask appropriate questions, do homework, and escalate as required
- Possess outstanding attention to detail and superior organizational skills
- Be able to prioritize and manage multiple competing tasks
- Have unimpeachable integrity and professionalism
- Be enthusiastic about working in a multi-cultural team environment
- Bachelor’s degree (major in Finance, Business, Econimics, or related field preferred); MFE a plus
Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Oaktree is committed to diversity and to equal opportunity employment. Oaktree does not make employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, past or present physical or mental disability, HIV status, medical condition as defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, veteran status, military service, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic violence victim status or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances. This policy applies to hiring, placement, internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, recruitment advertising, transfers, demotions, layoffs, terminations, recruitment advertising, rates of pay and other forms of compensation and all other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.
This policy applies to all Oaktree applicants, employees, clients, and contractors.