Future of Fuels Overview
Commercial freight transportation is at the cusp of a transition. Energy supply is changing with new fuels entering the market, increased cost volatility, and questions about the impacts of fuel. Yet low-carbon energy for commercial freight is in short supply and technological barriers to their adoption are daunting. Furthermore, mixed and competing claims obscure clarity on the sustainability of fuel choices. Credible, fuel-neutral analysis and solutions are needed to drive transition sustainably.
Our mission is to drive a sustainable transition to low-carbon commercial road freight with new tools, convenings, and partnerships. We do this as a business-to-business, cross value-chain, fuel-neutral group focused on lifecycle energy sustainability.
- We developed the Sustainable Fuel Buyers’ Principles, uniting buyers and shippers around requirements to accelerate the transition.
- We developed a fuel sustainability tool (Fuel Tool) for fleet owners to identify sustainable, low-carbon fuels
- We published a comprehensive study on “The Sustainability Impacts of Fuel” and “Fuel Sustainability Briefs” (2015)
- We created a “Roadmap for Sustainable Fuel” Guide to transition to low-carbon fuel (2014)
How We Work
- Development and use of Fuel Sustainability Tool
- Monthly member calls
- Two forums with influential stakeholders per year
- One in-person full group meeting per year
We are a business-to-business initiative working with our member companies to increase availability of low-carbon fuels. Our members:
- Accelerate low-carbon development through partnerships that encourage adoption
- Shape tools and research that improve the sustainability of all fuels
- Influence public dialogue and understanding to increase buy-in from key stakeholders