Human Rights Working Group
The UN Guiding Principles have emerged as the global standard for managing human rights impacts in global operations. BSR’s Human Rights Working Group (HRWG) brings companies from several industries together to share best practices and develop solutions to overcome the biggest challenges in implementing the UN Guiding Principles.
For two decades, BSR has been advising companies in all sectors on managing human rights impacts, from working conditions in supply chains to free expression and privacy on the internet.
Through in-person meetings, webinars, teleconferences, and an online platform for dialogue, the HRWG focuses on practical implementation challenges that are shared across sectors.
of practitioners believe human rights is “a significant priority” for their company
- Learn from and collaborate with practitioners across sectors on implementing the UN Guiding Principles.
- Use research and benchmarking on current practices to enhance your own human rights policies, management, and reporting.
- Build buy-in and internal alignment around your company’s human rights efforts.
- Advance the global human rights agenda through your business relationships.
- Establish effective grievance and remedy mechanisms to ensure your company maintains its license to operate.
Focus Areas of the Group for 2013
Over the next year, the HRWG will explore the following issues and challenges:
- Responding to Problems: What are effective grievance and remediation mechanisms?
- Governance Structures: How should companies delegate and empower decision making, support senior-level ownership, and allocate resources appropriately?
- Valuation and ROI: How can companies quantify risk avoidance and assess the value of maintaining their social license to operate?
- Stakeholder Mapping & Engagement: Who are the most strategic stakeholders to monitor and engage, and what is the best medium for engagement?
- Due Diligence: What are your company’s unique human rights risks and opportunities?
Sample List of Working Group Members
- AngloGold Ashanti North America, Inc.
- Barrick Gold Corporation
- BP p.l.c.
- Chevron Corporation
- Cisco Systems Inc.
- Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.
- Goldcorp, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Intel Corporation
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Microsoft Corporation
- Monsanto Company
- PepsiCo, Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Qualcomm Inc.
- Teck Resources Limited
- Yahoo! Inc.
Faris Natour, Director, Advisory Services
Peter Nestor, Associate, Advisory Services