Future of Fuels
With world energy consumption set to rise by around 40 percent between 2012 and 2030, our energy system is changing fundamentally, making companies’ decisions about fuel more complex and important than ever before.
While clean and renewable transportation technologies are gaining ground, petroleum will remain the backbone of our useful fuel resources for decades to come. In light of this, companies must make smarter decisions about their current choices among fuels, which often will be choices within fossil fuels.
Increasingly, energy resources are being tapped from unconventional sources—from the Arctic’s icy frontier to the abundant U.S. shale once thought too difficult to extract—creating more pressing climate, human rights, and other sustainability challenges. Yet, until now, companies have not had an authoritative resource to weigh the sustainability trade-offs of their current fuel decisions.
BSR’s Future of Fuels is filling that gap. This ambitious initiative—with leading experts from the private, nonprofit, public, and academic sectors—will help global companies understand the greatest sustainability impacts of their transportation fuel system, and what they can do about them.
- Future of Fuels overview
- BSR report: Transitioning to Low-Carbon Fuel: A Business Guide for Sustainable Trucking in North America (April 22, 2014)
- BSR blog: Obama’s Climate Plan and the Future of Energy: Part 2 | Better Policy (July 16, 2013)
- BSR blog: Obama’s Climate Plan and the Future of Energy: Part 1 | A Better Portfolio of Fuels (July 15, 2013)
- BSR blog: Delving into the Future of Fuels: Oil, Natural Gas, Biofuels, and Electric Vehicles (June 28, 2013)
- BSR blog: Weigh In on the Future of Fuels: Oil, Gas, Biofuels, and Electric Vehicles (May 23, 2013)
- BSR blog: How Can We Improve Fuel Sustainability? BSR Future of Fuels Stakeholder Forum Highlights (May 15, 2013)
- BSR report: The Sustainability Impacts of Fuel: A Paper from the Future of Fuels Working Group (October 9, 2012)
- BSR Insight article: The Future of Fuels Forecast (October 9, 2012)
- BSR Insight article: When Policy Fails on Climate, What Can Business Do? BSR’s 2012 Climate Initiatives (December 20, 2011)
- BSR Insight article: The Future of Fuels (November 29, 2011)
Media and Events
- New BSR Report Analyzes Total Sustainability Impacts, Market Outlook for Commercial Transportation Fuels
- BSR Launches Future of Fuels Initiative to Help Business Make Smarter Decisions on Energy
- BSR at Rio: The Future of Fuels
- Event at Rio: Sustainable Futures
- BSR Conference session summary: The Future of Energy in Transportation
Through a series of research papers and facilitated discussions, we are identifying and addressing key trade-offs throughout the value chain, covering the spectrum of sustainability challenges that are linked to this great energy transition.
It is our aim to guide business in reducing the impacts of the decisions they are making today, and help them collaborate with government and civil society to ensure a low-carbon future.
- Eric Olson, Senior Vice President, Advisory Services
- CSX Transportation
- GE Foundation
- PepsiCo, Inc.
- U.S. Department of Defense
- Volvo Group
- Westport Innovations
- Adam Brandt, Stanford University
- Garvin Heath, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Yasuhiko Kamakura, International Labor Organization (ILO)
- Chris Perceval, World Resources Institute
- Richard Plevin, UC Berkeley
- Jimmie Powell, The Nature Conservancy
- Matthew Rudolf, Roundtable on Sustainable Biofuels
- Renelle Sagana, U.S. Department of Defense
- Aaron Sanger, Forest Ethics
- Assheton Stewart Carter, Equitable Origin
For more information
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.