The economies of many countries depend on mining activities for revenue and employment, and consumers and other sectors rely on mining materials for growth and innovation. As a result, mining companies need to foster strong partnerships at local, national, and global levels to address critical social and environmental risks and realize benefits for business and communities.
BSR works with clients—from large multinationals to junior exploration companies—to improve social and environmental performance at both the operational and corporate levels. With global experience, we leverage our network of partners in government, civil society, and academia to complement our expertise and remain at the forefront of emerging trends and practices.
Ghana Responsible Mining Alliance
Discover how we brought two mining companies and USAID together to develop an alliance aimed at improving the lives of Ghanaians in mining communities.
Learn how we helped Sino Gold build its "social license to operate" by promoting long-term community development in remote villages surrounding its mine in China.
- Sustainability strategy design and implementation
- Cross-sector dialogues on key topics
- Communications and reporting
- Water scarcity and climate change
- Revenue transparency and benefit distribution
- Delivering value from sustainable local benefits through:
- Identification of human rights and social risks and opportunities
- Stakeholder mapping, identification, and outreach
- Community needs and gap assessments
- Design and deployment of impact indicators
- Local procurement design and implementation
- Overarching social impact and performance management
- Site closures
- BSR Mining Expertise Overview
- Environmental, Social and Governance Investing: Trends in Energy and Mining
- Energy and Extractives Industry Letter: 2010 Highlights and 2011 Priorities
- Operating Locally: BSR’s Three-Step Approach to Delivering Lasting Value
- Building Sustainable Local Economies Overview
- Commercial Value From Sustainable Local Benefits in the Extractive Industries: Local Content
- BSR and Human Rights: Project Experience in the Energy and Extractives Sectors
- BSR Conference Training on Solutions for Local Content Development
- RECIPE Guide
- Facilitator's RECIPE Guide
- Voluntary Principles on Human Rights and Security
Sample Member Companies
- Anglo Gold Ashanti Limited
- Antofagasta PLC
- Barrick Gold Corporation
- Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.
- Goldcorp, Inc.
- Kinross Gold Corporation
- New Gold Inc
- Newmont Mining Corporation
- Tahoe Resources Inc.
- Teck Resources Limited
- Tiffany & Co.
- Twin Metals Minnesota, LLC