BSR works with companies to advance responsible banking, investment, and financial services, and to help them take a more strategic approach to overall corporate sustainability.
BSR’s financial services team provides advisory and partnership development services to our corporate members on a variety of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues.
We assist our members—banks, investment managers, insurance companies, private equity firms, and financial communications, media, and technology companies—by providing our expert ESG knowledge in a holistic approach to corporate sustainability. We also partner with public-sector clients, foundations, and NGO partners on private-sector development, corporate collaboration initiatives, financial-inclusion challenges, and research on sustainable investment in emerging markets.
In the past five years, BSR has conducted more than 100 consulting projects for financial services companies and international finance organizations.
- Benchmark peer companies’ approaches
- Identify sustainability priorities and develop ESG strategies
- Assist with emerging ESG issues (e.g. human rights, biodiversity)
- Ensure supplier sustainability performance
- Incorporate disclosure trends (e.g. SASB, stock markets)
Sustainable and Responsible Investing
- Identify market opportunities for socially responsible investing
- Incorporate ESG factors into investment solutions
- Enhance ESG disclosure to institutional investors
- Determine impact metrics
- Develop access to finance and financial inclusion
ESG Risk Analysis and Mitigation
- Develop sector lending policies
- Conduct mergers and acquisitions and project finance due diligence
- Prioritize stakeholders and define avenues for engagement
- Facilitate Equator Principles and UNPRI implementation
- Gain portfolio-level view of ESG risks and opportunities
- Trends in ESG Integration in Investments (2012)
- Reporting on ESG Considerations in the Private Sector (2012)
- Adapting to Climate Change: Risks and Opportunities for Financial Services Companies (2012)
- Financial Inclusion in the Supply Chain (2012)
- Sustainable Investment in the Middle East and North Africa Region Report (for the IFC, 2011)
- Sustainable Investment in China (2009)
- ESG in the Mainstream: The Role for Companies and Investors in Environmental, Social, and Governance Integration (2009)
- Sustainable Investment in China quarterly newsletter
Read about how BSR helped Western Union identify solutions for the educational needs of its clients, which also could potentially grow its business, though an innovative stakeholder engagement project.
Learn how BSR has partnered with Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P. (KKR) and its more than 60 private-equity portfolio companies to create business value through a comprehensive approach to responsible sourcing.
Visa USA, Inc.
See how we helped Visa develop a corporate strategy that reaches beyond current philanthropic initiatives and integrates CSR strategy with business objectives.
- Access to finance
- Climate change
- CSR strategy
- ESG integration
- ESG risk analysis and mitigation
- Financial literacy
- Human rights
- Supply chain
- Stakeholder engagement
- Sustainable and responsible investing
Sample Member Companies
- The Allstate Corporation
- American Express Company (AmEx)
- Automatic Data Processing, Inc.
- Bank of America Corporation
- Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi UFJ (BTMU)
- Barclays Bank PLC
- Blackstone Group
- Bloomberg L.P.
- BNP Paribas S.A.
- BNY Mellon
- Calvert Investments
- Edmond de Rothschild Group
- Franklin Templeton Investments
- Generation Investment Management LLP
- KKR & Co. L.P.
- MasterCard Worldwide, Inc.
- McGraw Hill Financial
- The Northern Trust Company
- NYSE Euronext
- Oak Hill Capital Management LLC
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan Board
- Rockefeller & Company
- State Street Corporation
- Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Holdings, Inc.
- Tau Investment Management
- The Western Union Company