From climate change to the fight against poverty, energy issues are at the forefront of the 21st century’s most pressing challenges and opportunities. Energy companies are working to deliver new resources that will support worldwide economic growth and development, while helping to address the range of environmental and social impacts that come with energy production and consumption.
Our team has extensive corporate and field experience with energy clients along with strong networks that tap thought leaders from NGOs to academia. We offer targeted assistance to address issues associated with conventional, unconventional, and alternative energy resource developments.
Strategic Advice in the Boardroom and in the Field
We provide ongoing advice to international energy companies on CSR strategy, community engagement, and local content development—at corporate headquarters and in the field. Our recommendations help shape company strategy in ways that align with business objectives and support local needs.
- Sustainability strategy design and implementation
- Cross-sector dialogues on key mining topics
- Communications and reporting
- Delivering value from sustainable local benefits through:
- Identification of human rights and social risks and opportunities
- Stakeholder mapping, identification, and outreach
- Community needs and gap assessments
- Design and deployment of impact indicators
- Local content design and implementation
- Overarching social impact and performance management
- BSR Energy Expertise Overview
- Environmental, Social and Governance Investing: Trends in Energy and Mining
- Energy and Extractives Industry Letter: 2010 Highlights and 2011 Priorities
- Operating Locally: BSR’s Three-Step Approach to Delivering Lasting Value
- Building Sustainable Local Economies Overview
- Commercial Value From Sustainable Local Benefits in the Extractive Industries: Local Content
- BSR and Human Rights: Project Experience in the Energy and Extractives Sectors
- BSR Conference Training on Solutions for Local Content Development
- BSR's Environmental Reports
- RECIPE Guide
- Facilitator's RECIPE Guide
- Voluntary Principles on Human Rights and Security
Sample Member Companies
- American Water Works Company, Inc.
- BP p.l.c
- Chevron Corporation
- DONG Energy
- Duke Energy
- Eni S.p.A.
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- IPIECA (International Petroleum Industry Environmental Conservation Association)
- Occidental Petroleum
- Sempra Energy
- Shell International B.V.
- SunPower Corporation
- SunTech Power