Local Sustainable Performance
As companies expand their operations across the globe to meet the burgeoning demand for natural resources, effective approaches to delivering long-term local benefits are needed to meet rising local expectations and ensure positive commercial outcomes.
BSR helps companies forge strong links between social and commercial performance by using a three-step approach that includes: a strong risk-management (social license) base, “investments” in a formal accountability-enabling system, and deployment of a framework that promotes innovation.
- Identify community needs, impacts, opportunities, and risks related to company activities.
- Address local challenges and opportunities with shared accountability, efficiency, and impact.
- Define shared indicators and performance-evaluation systems to measure progress in and/or obstacles to delivering local benefits.
- Design and deliver innovative approaches to sustainable local benefits that go beyond traditional community development.
Ghana Responsible Mining Alliance
Discover how we brought two mining companies and USAID together to develop an alliance aimed at improving the lives of Ghanaians in mining communities.
Learn how we helped Sino Gold build its "social license to operate" by promoting long-term community development in remote villages surrounding its mine in China.
An integrated approach to local benefits delivers long-term value to both the community and the company by:
- Enhancing operational efficiency by integrating responsibilities across relevant departments and among local partners
- Increasing external program impacts by maintaining consistency across the project lifecycle
- Leveraging internal and external benefits by ensuring that international and local contractors are aligned with company objectives
- Establishing realistic expectations by including local benefits issues into cost, scheduling, and financial models
- BSR’s Social Investment Analysis Tool
- Local Sustainable Performance Overview
- Commercial Value From Sustainable Local Benefits in the Extractive Industries: Local Content
- BSR Conference Training on Solutions for Local Content Development
- RECIPE Guide
- Voluntary Principles on Human Rights and Security
- AREVA Group
- Exeter Resource Corporation
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Goldcorp, Inc.
- Kinross Gold Corporation
- Minera Los Pelambres
- Monsanto Company
- Newmont Mining Corporation
- Nyrstar NV
- Oyu Tolgoi, LLC
- Plum Creek
- Sagittarius Mines, Inc.
- Shell International B.V.
- Sino Gold Mining Limited
- Total S.A.
- Yamana Gold, Inc.