Human Rights Strategy & Implementation
The United Nations’ endorsement of the Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights underscores the global expectation that business operates with respect for human rights. We help companies develop and implement strategies that ensure respect for human rights and contribute to business success.
Whether advising on freedom of expression or responsible investment in transitional economies, our team of experts is uniquely positioned to help companies develop strategies to manage their key human rights risks and maximize opportunities.
With 20 years of hands-on experience in boardrooms and the field, we draw on a network of partners from business and civil society to tackle global challenges.
Tailoring our services to your business realities and regions, we can develop:
- A robust human rights strategy that synthesizes company efforts
- Human rights impact assessments at the corporate, market, product, or site levels that identify your unique impacts, risks, and opportunities
- Policies and processes for articulating your commitment to human rights and integrating human rights into core business functions
- Tools to monitor and communicate your performance and progress in advancing human rights
- Multi-stakeholder and community engagements to better understand root causes and possible solutions
In today’s interconnected and hyper- transparent world, human rights risks demand robust management systems. With our assistance, your company can:
- Minimize the likelihood of litigation, shareholder resolutions, and activist campaigns that threaten your license to operate.
- Reduce costs associated with worker overtime, turnover, and ill health—issues that are best managed through an integrated human rights strategy.
- Support local communities where you live and work.
- Strengthen brand reputation with shareholders, investors, government, and the media.
- Human Rights Services Overview
- Human Rights Training and Engagement Guide
- BSR and Human Rights: Project Experience in the Energy and Extractives Sectors
- Solving the Human Rights Challenge
- Protecting Human Rights in the Digital Age
- Stories From the Field
- Recent BSR articles on human rights
- Barrick Gold Corporation
- The Coca-Cola Company
- General Electric Company
- Johnson & Johnson
- Microsoft Corporation
- Monsanto Company
- Rio Tinto
- Teck Resources
- The Walt Disney Company
- Yahoo! Inc.
Faris Natour, Director, Human Rights