International Women’s Day: Women and Sustainability
In the world today, women and girls face many of the greatest challenges, and yet they are critical partners and leaders in promoting sustainable development.
As many global leaders have attested, we believe investing in women carries huge returns for society and business. Moreover, we believe that promoting women’s empowerment is required for stable, just, and prosperous societies and economies.
Through HERproject, our global women’s empowerment initiative, BSR is promoting business engagement on this critical issue.
Beyond HERproject, we help our members create partnerships with women as employees, consumers, and community members. BSR has identified trends and best practices in women and sustainability including community investment, supply chain engagement, employee recruitment and retention, and stakeholder dialogue.
BSR believes that women’s empowerment must be a pillar of sustainability on a global scale, and that business must partner with the world’s women to help them overcome the challenges they face and realize the opportunities they promise.
Take our women’s empowerment poll on Facebook and let us know what you think are the most pressing issues of today.
Recent BSR Resources
- Blog: Investing in Workers Through Financial Education: HERfinance Curriculum Launch
- Blog: Creating a Safe Space for Women’s Economic Empowerment
- BSR Insight: How Business Can Build an Inclusive Economy
- Blog: Using Audits to Look Beyond Factory Walls at Worker Well-Being
- Report: Incorporating Women’s Health into Workplace Assessments
- Blog: In Her Own Words: Stories from HERfinance
- Press Release: BSR, Walmart Launch Women’s Empowerment Program
- Blog: Teaching China’s Supply Chain Women to Lean In
- BSR Insight: The Future of Women’s Empowerment in Global Supply Chains
- International Food Policy Research Institute Gender Page
- Family Health International
- Global Business Coalition's "Healthy Women, Healthy Economies"
- International Center for Research on Women
- McKinsey Quarterly: Women & Leadership
- OECD Gender, Institutions and Development Database
- Pathways of Women’s Empowerment
- Population Reference Bureau: 2011 Women and Girls Data Sheet
- UN Women Watch
- Vital Voices
- Women Deliver
- Women for Women International
- Women’s Learning Partnership for Rights, Development and Peace
- Women Thrive Worldwide
- Women’s World Banking
- World Bank Group/IFC: Global Private Sector Leaders Forum
- World Bank Group: Women, Business and the Law